Author Topic: CULBERT marriage Lookup  (Read 2054 times)

Offline JLBurstein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CULBERT marriage Lookup
« on: Wednesday 07 February 07 14:51 GMT (UK) »

I really hope this won't be too much trouble for someone.  I am descended from the family of James Culbert and Elizabeth Park, of Balleighan, Manorcunningham, County Donegal, Ireland.  My cousins and I have been stuck on this couple for many years. It has always been family lore that the Culberts came from Scotland (and there have been some indications to support this). 

One cousin, doing family research in the 1950's, claimed to have found a marriage document for James and Elizabeth Park Culbert in Scotland.  There was some family explanation that it was a short trip to Scotland via Loch Swilley and that there was some advantage to being married there (I believe it was indicated that there was a tax or religious advantage?).  The cousin who supposedly located this document passed away 1996.  No one else has ever seen this document, we are unsure of where in Scotland it might have come from, or the date of the marriage.

We do know that James and Elizabeth Park Culbert were Presbyterian, their eldest child was born in 1803 and that they were from Balleighan on the shores of Loch Swilley.  Therefore, we believe they were married around 1801 in Argyllshire.

If it isn't too inconvenient, would it be possible for someone to look into this?

Thank you very much,
Jennifer

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CULBERT marriage Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

The OPR's have been indexed on www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for some time but just recently the digital images have also been made available online.  I've searched for all combinations in Argyll and indeed even the entire Country in a reasonable time frame and using either Park or Culbert (with wildcards) and so far there is no sign of a record that could fit your circumstances.  If your family member did find evidence of the marriage then it doesn't appear to be extant in the available collections.   This doesn't mean they didn't marry in Scotland....it just means that proving it appears to be impossible at this moment.

Best wishes anyway...
Jean