Author Topic: NUTTER name in Lancashire...  (Read 1722 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
NUTTER name in Lancashire...
« on: Monday 22 November 04 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a puzzle  ???.

I have a Thomas Nutter and his wife Martha in Ireland (now Northern Ireland), with their children born there from 1876 onwards (first in County Antrim then County Derry).  They seem to be the only family of that surname in Northern Ireland other than another family who had two or three children in County Antrim then moved (back??) to England. Does not seem to have been any family at all of that surname in Londonderry/North of Ireland before 1865 at least and indeed, Thomas/John were probably the first. I strongly feel they may have come from England.

The other family (ones who went (back?) to England) were:

John Nutter and his wife Sarah Gregory

children of theirs I can find being born County Antrim are:

Mary Jane Nutter about 1867
Elizabeth Nutter about 1869
Maggie Nutter  about 1874

I have then found some of them in 1881/1891 Census for England living at Mossley Road, Tynemouth Terrace, Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire.

My thoughts are that Thomas and John may have been brothers. Why....well, surname uncommon in North of Ireland at that time. Both  living in County Antrim around same time, confirmed by births of Thomas's first child in County Antrim in 1876 and at least three of John's also County Antrim, first being c1867, second c1869 then third c1874. Thomas thereafter moves to Londonderry, John moves to England.

Can anyone out there tie these two families together? Or, at least does anyone have John and his family?

Thanks for looking, ever in hope  :).

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: NUTTER name in Lancashire...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scotsmum,

Well Nutter is a very popular Lancashire Surname.

If you view the 1881 Census returns there were around 2300 Nutters in England and Wales over 58% came from Lancashire which would suggests that this is quite an old Lancashire Name.

The real "hotbed" for Nutters is Burnley which accounts for 35% of Nutters :P

In 1881 there were 9 Nutters in Ashton.

A bit of interest for you anyway

Black Sheep
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that, I think  :P!

8 of the 9 in Ashton were John, his wife and 6 of their children.....mmmm, wonder who 9th was. Oh, and viewing Census has now given me a bit extra info, John stated he was 46 and born in Bury. Sarah, 43 and born in Bolton. First and last two children also born Bolton.

Yes indeed, and out of all those huge numbers of Nutters, apparently only two found their way across the water to Ireland (now Northern Ireland). So, hopefully this small, but significant I think, difference, will one day mean something to one of the many 'Nutters' in England/Wales and help me fill in the missing pieces. Mind you, those two may not have been related and if so, it will only be Thomas I need to track down more info for.

<<<<<Still searching....always hopeful..... 8)[/color]
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Vivienne Street

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
In reply to scotmum..I happened across this post some 20years after first written and had to get InTouch...my grandmother was Martha nutter and lived all her life in Derry/Londonderry unsure of her DOB. Her father was Sandy Nutter...I believe his Christian name was Alexander and came from a large family of 9 siblings so I think his father would have been one of the brothers you mentioned who moved to northern Ireland in the 1800s..my grandmother was an only child who's mother passed away when she was 15... Sandy never remarried..
I hope you get this message albeit a very long time later ..
Thank you...
Vivienne Street