Author Topic: record of marriage Abergele or Denbigh  (Read 1019 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
record of marriage Abergele or Denbigh
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Today I heard from the Registrar at Rhyl who has found a wedding certificate which is not the exact match for my great aunt, the name is correct age and brides fathers name but the area she came from was Abergele, this wedding took lace in chapel which would be correct but the area is Denbigh.

May I ask this list what they think.

Thanks Valerie

AK

Re: record of marriage Abergele or Denbigh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 07 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valerie1,

Is it possible to give an idea of the names involved?

At one time Abergele was in Denbighshire but having said that, a fair way from Denbigh town for marriage purposes.

Should the names be common for Wales, eg Jones, Williams etc, then I would be wary of this. On the other hand, an uncommon name would make me think it is a possiblity.

Have you tried other methods of finding the marriage?

AK

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 07 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi AK

My great Aunt was known as Maggi Margaret Davies born 1885, born Abergele.

Her father was Daniel Davies of Peel Street Abergele, problem is I do not have the grooms name.

The family were Wesley's and Maggi went to Patagonia, between 1912 and 1920.

When I first started trying to trace my mothers family I started corresponding with a lady registrar from Abergele who told me that Daniel was quite an unusual name in Wales in the 1800s as she was trying to find Daniels birth certificate for me at that time.

So when Daniel name popped up on the said marriage certificate I was Kind of hoping it might be her.

I have looked on ancestry and the North Wales BMD but having no grooms name is the problem.

I have Maggi in 1901 working as a servant at the Vaults public house in Abergele, I believe it was also a butchers.

Not a lot to go on I know and when I get the certificate I cant prove its my Maggi can I ?

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 07 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi AK
Sorry forgot to say thank you for replying presed the post button to quick

Regards Valerie

AK

« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 07 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valerie1,

I think you should be wary of this marriage as Davies is such a common name in Wales.

Am not an expert but I thought that Daniel was not that uncommon as a christian name for those days.

I know the place you name in Abergele as I lived there briefly. I do think it would be very unlikely that they married in Denbigh town if they lived there.

Have you any idea of the nearest Wesleyan chapel to Abergele? I don't know for sure but think there would have been something nearer to them than Denbigh. The Wesleyan Methodists have their own archive and it may be worth pursuing to see if they have anything.

Leave it with me and I will have a dig around to see if I find anything. I live not far from the approptriate RO, so possible to go there. Not sure if they would have these records though.

AK

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 07 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ak

Bless you for your kind offer it would be great if you could find any thing out.

Did Google Wesleyan Methodists Abergel it came up St Paul's but I think some of my mothers people are buried in St Micheal s Abergele.

I thought Daniel was comman but I expect Louise meant when she was looking for Daniel Davies Death  or birth certificate the name did not come up much thats why I allowed myself to get carried away when this certificate came up.

Regards Valerie

Started snowing here again in Buckinghamshire