Author Topic: Charters  (Read 894 times)

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charters
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I need some help and I think that this may be one of my last chances. My Great Granddad was a John Charters who died in Belfast in 1927 age 74. Family history remembers him as having served in the army for around 19 years and having fought the 'Fuzzy Wuzzies'. I have no idea as to his regiment but the family memory has him being nostalgic about the bagpipes. I would think either Scottish or Irish as one of his sons joined the Irish Fusiliers and the other the Seaforth Highlanders during WW1. I would imagine that he served somewhere between 1870 - 1890. could someone do a lookup of medal rolls for campaigns between those dates that might feature him. The photo is of John
Thanks
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charters
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 07 11:57 GMT (UK) »
"Fuzzy-Wuzzies" was the British soldiers name for the Beja and Hadendowa tribesmen of eastern Sudan & southern Egypt.

Between 1870 & 1890 you'd be looking at the 1st Sudan War of 1884-1891. Royal Irish Fusiliers were there 1882-84. Also featuring were the Royal Irish Regt, Black Watch, Gordon Highlanders, Cameron Highlanders. Seaforths were in Egypt a bit earlier in 1882. (and that's just looking at Scots & irish regiments)

Can you have another go at the photo? Does it show him in uniform?

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charters
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 07 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil, The photo was just an extra as it showed him in his 60's at about the start of WW1. The man is cloaked in mystery as I can find no track of his military/civilian life and there is no one alive in my family who knew him. The stories about him being a soldier are quite strong though. I reckon that he did not marry until he came out of the army but i can't find anything about that either

Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street