Author Topic: Thomas Samuel Fell  (Read 1099 times)

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Samuel Fell
« on: Friday 09 February 07 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Could some kind person look up the death of Thomas Samuel Fell. He died 06/05/1946 Vancouver British Columbia age 77.  I only have the index information and desperately need his wife's name as well as his birthplace and date of birth.
Thanks
Jean

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Samuel Fell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 10:08 GMT (UK) »

The information on the death certificate for Thomas Samuel Fell will only be as good as the information provided by the person reporting his death. You can get a certificate via:

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/textual/governmt/vstats/v_events.htm

Hoping to learn a Little extra I looked at the Cemetery listing site to see where he had been laid to rest but without any success. It is a good resource but there are still many cemeteries to add to the data bank.

I also checked to see if he had served in the services in WW1 but could find no evidence of attestation. 

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  I have tried the bmd for his marriage but think maybe he married in England before he emigrated. So far I haven't been able to find this information.
I will keep trying and hope something turns up.
Jean

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 07 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Do you still need help with this?  If so, let me know and I'll look up the death certificate for you.

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 07 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynwen

I would be really grateful if you would look the certificate up for me.   Thomas was my mother's uncle and she thinks he married and had a daughter Hannah.  My grandfather corresponded with him for some time but then lost contact.  I think he may have emigrated around 1920.

Regards
Jean

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 07 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean - I found the certificate today.  I'll send you a PM with all the details.

Regards,
Lynwen
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline styles05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 07 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynwen

My goodness. That was quick.   Thanks very much for the details.  Everything is correct, such as Thomas' birth and his wife's name and his father's name. However, He most certainly was not born in Ireland.  He was born in Essex, England as were his parents.  I have the certificates to confirm this.

My mother thinks he was married prior to his emigration and also that it was more likely to have been a bit later.  This is her memory but as she is almost 90 years old it may not be exact.  I have tried to find a marriage in England but no luck.  The name of Hannah Alderson is quite common here for the late 1800/early1900's.  I also looked for details of his emigration during the period 1890-1920 but have  found nothing yet.

Do you think the burial details will tell us more?  I would certainly appreciate a copy of the death certificate and anything else connected.  You must let me know how I can repay you. 

A Happy New Year to you

Jean

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 08 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,

I went out to Mountain View Cemetery today and Thomas is indeed buried there but sadly, there is no headstone.  I asked the very nice clerk at the Cemetery office to look up to see if the burial records contained any additional info but most of it was the same as the death cert.  The only additional bit of info is that he was buried in a pauper's grave and his burial was paid for by what we call "the Ministry".  It has had quite a few official names in the past but it is generally described as the social services ministry.  It is very likely that Thomas was collecting benefits when he died - my guess is a disability benefit or an income supplement as he was listed as an invalid on the death cert.  Even though it is classified a pauper's grave, he was buried in an individual plot and not in a group burial. 

As for the birth place listed as Ireland, it sounds like the information provided by the informant was incorrect.  The registrar relied on the information provided by family members and it wasn't always correct.  I had the same problem on one of mine where all the birth and parent information was incorrect.  It was definitely my great-great uncle but his wife obviously didn't know much about his family or place of birth.  I can't think of any other way to check his details.  Even though he was listed as a Canadian citizen, there was no formal citizenship application process for immigrants born in Britain.  They were automatically considered citizens so no supporting documentation such as birth certificates was ever required.

I can have a look through some early Vancouver City Directories to see if I can find him listed.  Otherwise, I think the only option is to find him in the passenger lists and trace his route through Canada.  That might narrow the search for his daughter as well.

Sorry, I was hoping to find more!
Lynwen

ps. I'll post the death certificate to you tomorrow.
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire