Author Topic: British Home Children - 1890  (Read 15419 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Children - 1890
« Reply #108 on: Friday 09 March 07 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

I was talking with Migky this morning and he too was told that it would 50 GBP for the records.  Migky then phoned the place and talked to them directly and they gave him a price and said it would be 25GBP max, so maybe you could call them and see what they say?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Saturday 10 March 07 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen  :)

It looks like a phone call is the way forward then?

I have another email to them in the pipeline and if I don't get any joy from that they will be getting a call.... 

I should have calmed down enough by then!! ;D

Cheers,

Mick :)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 15 March 07 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I've had another reply from the CCRS, it's has left me more gobsmacked than the first!!

I doubt that a telephone call is going to make any difference now.....I would have been happy to make a donation but this is a bit much!

Quote: We are a charity and rely heavily on the donations we receive to enable us to do the work we do.  The fees we charge are only a small contribution towards the actual cost involved in terms of time spent by paid staff in the careful checking and collating of records, be they adoption, fostering, residential or emigration records.  Obviously the fee would also apply if someone were to visit us in person, though we would keep it at £50 despite the extra time involved.

They wouldn't even tell me where the boys were placed!!

Charity my a***!!

Mick :-\
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 15 March 07 00:33 GMT (UK) »

Oh my Friend ..... that is such a disappointment after all that !!  ::) ::)

I can't believe they would say 50 quid is a donation !! ......... but I suppose I've been away from the country too long !!

But as they say .... there's more than one way to skin a cat ! ..... we'll do it somehow .... I know how much it means to you and your MUM !!

Relax ... take it easy .... don't stress over it  OK??

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 15 March 07 00:56 GMT (UK) »
here's my answer to that...having been a volunteer for a good deal of my life...which has stopped recently due an accumulation of similar circumstances, actually...

I question...what on this God's earth is someone doing getting paid at a place of charity, anyway...???
 (Is there a smiley spitting on the ground to add in here...?)
I could go on,  ( & on & on & on) but I think we all know where this is going...

Cyber hugs...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 15 March 07 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys!

To think that they must have already seen and read the documents and that they are prepared to offer me nothing more than "We hold some detailed records on these boys etc etc" is a bit uncharitable imho.

Anyways,rant over.

Hugs reciprocated, feeling calmer...... ;)

Mick :)

British Military History

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 15 March 07 02:07 GMT (UK) »
The thing that gets my goat is all these children that were sent here and were treated poorly, where they "bleep" were they then with their charity work??

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 16 March 07 15:04 GMT (UK) »
The thing that gets my goat is all these children that were sent here and were treated poorly, where they "bleep" were they then with their charity work??

Karen

Hi Karen,

I'm reading the book Empty Cradles by Margaret Humphreys, it sure goes some way to answering that question!!

It's an incredibly sad and distressing read........ :'(

Mick

British Military History