Author Topic: Photograph date please..  (Read 966 times)

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Photograph date please..
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 13:28 GMT (UK) »
If O.R. isn't around, is there anyone that can please date this photograph
Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph date please..
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 14:25 GMT (UK) »
This site might help you. It is for photo dating !

http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/date.htm

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim, I'll have a look. though I'm not very good at dating  :-[
Jean

What a brilliant site........thankyou very much but I do wish they'd find some photographs of working class people.......

I'm sure that families with not alot of spare cash, did not keep up with fashion...same as today.  So they may be wearing clothes well out of date.
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I feel that this study was taken c1889. The young boy on the left of the picture is wearing either a mini version of an Inverness or Ulster Cape both of which were around at this time. The boy on the right is wearing something similar to a "man of war" suit (although it is similar it has buttons down the front whereas a M-O-W suit was more of a smock pull over the head type of top) either way it is what was referred to as a Middy Suit which was common around 1887. The male (the father) at the back is wearing a sack coat which was done up by the top button only and was again popular at this time. However what leads me to the date  of 1889 is that the top of the sleeves where they meet the shoulder on the woman's top has a small kick up to it. Kick up's were introduced in 1889 and by 1893 they were replaced by the leg of mutton sleeving. Hope that this is of some help.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much O. R......that is perfect........it is my great grandparents and was in the local newspaper quite a few years ago.  They had it dated as 1875 .......I didn't think much about it at the time, until I got interested in genealogy.   Looking at the family, I wanted it to be around 1890.....the family fits perfect.

Thank you so much......you're brill.......I knew they were wrong.

Jean

Ingleby....Derbyshire