Author Topic: How soon can Irishwomen in the olden days remarried after their husbands died?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Rootschatters,

I am asking for a bit of advice from you--I think I may have gotten my great-grandmother's father's death entry this time. I am not sure yet until I get ahold of an actual certificate.

A big question is that it looks like my great-grandmother's family history may be a bit off on when her Da passed away.

So, I would like to know how soon can her Mum re-marry in the 1870s. I was informed that there is no marriage registration in a year I believe to be the year she remarried.

But I think she may have re-married much earlier? I am not sure because I know how things are done back then in Ireland--maybe I am mistaken about this?

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Frazer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How soon can Irishwomen in the olden days remarried after their husbands died?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 07 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Can't be certain, but I don't think there would have been any official reason to prevent her marrying soon after her husband's death.  The custom was that a widow mourned her husband for a year, and well into the middle of 20th century women wore "widows weeds" (dressed in black) until the first anniversary of the death of their husband.  It would have been unusual (although not unheard of) for a widow to remarry before the 1st anniversary of the death of her husband.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: How soon can Irishwomen in the olden days remarried after their husbands die
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
If she had young children to raise, then she would have needed a husband for financial support.  Although she could  have been a contributor to the family income by taking in laundry, dressmaking, hatmaking, etc, most women remarried pretty quickly to ensure their children's welfare.  Men did the same for similar reasons, they needed help at home with their children.  Mostly it was a matter of common sense and survival for both parties. 

Some strongly religious families did keep the year of mourning, but this was not as prevalent by the 1870's I didn't think.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frazer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How soon can Irishwomen in the olden days remarried after their husbands died?
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 07 00:25 GMT (UK) »
It was certainly prevalent when I was growing up in Co. Dublin in the 1950's.  I would have thought that most families were religious in the 19th century.  Of course, invidividual circumstances would have been a factor.  Anyway, I don't think there was any official impediment to the widow remarrying.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 07 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frazer and Karenlee,

Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

I am more inclined to Karenlee's position on this matter.

My English great great grandfather re-married in the matter of few weeks after his first wife died so he could have someone to look after his wee girls. All of this was in 1870s.

In the beginning, I was not sure due to the fact that my ancestors were living in the rural Ireland--the rules may be somewhat stricter. On other hands, knowing Irish had a strong tendency to have relatives looking after them even if you have little to offer. All of this was under the impression from some books I had read on this subject some years ago.

So, it is more likely to be same for my Irish great great grandmother. I am waiting for a confirmation on her second marriage--to see how soon she got married.

Thank you for your replies as it helps me in deciding which years to look at.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 07 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karenlee & Frazer,

At last, I got the death certificate!

It seems Frazer was correct about the length of wait before remarrying.

My great-granny waited one year and some odd days after her anniversary date (to her first husband). I think it is same with her second husband who was a widower.

Gee, I know I would have much difficulty in determining which was his first marriage. ha ha ha....

Thank you for your help with this query of mine!

Kind regards,

Tees