Author Topic: 1881 Census - Joseph MEDCALF Landed Proprieter  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists do it with dead people. Mostly!!
    • View Profile
1881 Census - Joseph MEDCALF Landed Proprieter
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
In 1881 census Josephs wife Mary gave married as her status on the census.  Joseph wasn't on it.  Where was he?
Ashe-Marlborough. Auchincloss-Glasgow. Dickey-Ireland,Scotland,USA. Ebben-Enfield. Fewins-St Austell, Ohio
Hall-Mdx & Northumberland. Heard/Hurd/Herd-Dry Drayton Cambs. Hillhouse-Scotland,USA.  Horton-West Bromwich,Greenwich Kent, Mdx, Surrey.  Kelly-High Beech, Essex.  Livermore-Enfield.  Malyon-Mdx.  Medcalf-Enfield Mdx, Cheshunt Herts.  Metcalfe-Dry Drayton Cam.  Saunders-Uxbridge, Enfield.  Sleath-Enfield.  Snelling-Storrington.  Stretton-Greenwich,Lee.  Wiltshire-Enfield.  Woodfield-Enfield

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Medcalf, Landed Proprieter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Would it be possible for you to post the information that you have on Joseph and his family.

Years of birth
Places of birth
names of children etc.

I will then take a look and see what I can find.

Have you got the family on earlier census?

nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky, Thanks for the offer.
I have searched for him on the 81.  I have not tried earlier census yet.  But some of the family appear to be on the 91 in Pancras, but I have not confirmed it.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Ashe-Marlborough. Auchincloss-Glasgow. Dickey-Ireland,Scotland,USA. Ebben-Enfield. Fewins-St Austell, Ohio
Hall-Mdx & Northumberland. Heard/Hurd/Herd-Dry Drayton Cambs. Hillhouse-Scotland,USA.  Horton-West Bromwich,Greenwich Kent, Mdx, Surrey.  Kelly-High Beech, Essex.  Livermore-Enfield.  Malyon-Mdx.  Medcalf-Enfield Mdx, Cheshunt Herts.  Metcalfe-Dry Drayton Cam.  Saunders-Uxbridge, Enfield.  Sleath-Enfield.  Snelling-Storrington.  Stretton-Greenwich,Lee.  Wiltshire-Enfield.  Woodfield-Enfield

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Struggling to find him in 1881, have found him in 1891 and he is listed as a retired watchmaker.
If you want details of 1891 and 1871 let me know.
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Nicky,
I would like the 71 and 91 details if its ok.  Is he in Pancras in 91?

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 09:08 GMT (UK) »
1891 census

107 Mansfield Road

Joseph Medcalf, head, age 45, retired watchmaker born London City
May, wife, age 45 born Islington
Ada C, dau, age 20 born St Pancras
Joseph J, son, age 22, chartered accountant clerk born St Pancras
Alice L, dau, age 16 born St Pancras

RG12 137
folio 99 page 57
St Pancras

1871 census

8 Malden Road

Joseph Medcalf, head, age 25, watchmaker born City of London
Mary, wife, age 26 born City of London
Joseph J, son, age 2 born Middlesex St Pancras
Ada C??, dau, age 8 months born Middlesex St Pancras
Caroline Crompton, serv, age 14, domestic servant born Middlesex St Lukes

RG10 241
folio 7 page 10
Kentish Town, St Pancras

Nicky

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 07 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Nicky

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 07 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yorkie  :D

Just wondering where the "Landed Proprietor" came from, and see that it's from the index to the 1881 (at least that's what it says on the Ancestry site).  On the actual page, Mary is shown as "Wife of Joseph Medcalf" but that's it - no occupation is given for him.  Clip is below.

Thought this might at least help you track him down  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes it came from the 1881 enumerated.  I was unsure what it meant when I saw his 71 entry and the 91 as watchmaker.
Now I need to find his birth etc.