Author Topic: Egypt Expeditionary Force - and medal record card now  (Read 2415 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Egypt Expeditionary Force - and medal record card now
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks
I have a william Clarke Giddings (my granny's brother in law) - and found a letter from him to Granny dated 17 may 1919, written in Haifa, Palestine. It says he is in 63 company  -  but not which regiment - and ELC - Lance Corporal?? and EEF which I know if Egypt Expeditionary Force.
Can anyone throw light on what regiment 63 company might be and confirm that ELC refers to his rank?
we know so little about this man, that anything helps.
Thanks in advance
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt Expeditionary Force - some help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is it written in that order "63 Company, ELC, EEF"?

That would be an odd place to give his rank. I'd say ELC is Egyptian Labour Corps, his unit.  ;)

Does the letter mention anything else that could be useful?

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil
yes it's written in that order.
He says he is standing on top of "God's mountain" - probably mount Carmel? and doesn't think much of the "promised Land"!
i don't have the letter, my brother found it at dad's house and read it to me over the phone. (he'll be home in about a fortnight and will scan it for me then.)
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I've found a photo that might go with the letter. he says in the letter that there would be a photo with it. i'll see if I can work out how to attach it ;)
revmother
didn't work
I'll try later. i think it was too big!

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I hope this time I get the photo in. I've done everything that I was told from a posting about this - including downloading irfanview.
So lets see what happens. Cap badge and buttons may be a clue.
Oh, and I've coughed up for the medal records for the two chaps - still don't know which of them is "mine"! ;)
here goes 8)
sorry it's so big!

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 00:25 GMT (UK) »
The photo you have posted is of a Second Lieutenant(Officer) in the Army the badge could be the badge of the Labour Corps.

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help.
These photos do make life easier now I've discovered how to do them :)
revmother

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 07 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks
I've now found Billy Giddings Medal record card, it shows him in 3 different Corps and rising through the ranks.
Can anyone dicipher it for me please?
I'll attempt to attach it.
Thanks
revmother

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt Expeditionary Force - and medal record card now
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 February 07 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The part that says "Theatre of War first served in", the code 2B refers to Gallipoli and the Dardanelles I believe.

So he started as a Corporal in the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC)
Then a Sergeant in the 3rd Welsh ???
Then a 2nd Lieut. in the Labour Corps

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals