Author Topic: Vernons in Winsford  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
Vernons in Winsford
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a marriage for a John Vernon from the Over area of Winsford. He was a tailor and my GGGG Grandfather. He was born probably in 1803 and my GGG Grandfather George was born in 1825. However, on the 1841 census George (born in Winsford) is 15/16, a boarder in Eccles Lancashire and listed as a boilermaker.

By this date John Vernon (a tailor in Over, Cheshire) is married to Eliza with 3 children. However, Eliza is only 28 (this ties in with later census records) and rather too young to be the mother of George. So I'm thinking that maybe John was married twice once to George's mother and once to Eliza.

All this is confused by the fact that in 1803 two John Vernon's were baptised in Saint Chad's church in Over in 1803 (as per IGI entries) and there is also another John Vernon born in this area of Winsford whose birth has been recorded between 1796 - 1803. My John is a tailor, while the others are a water carrier (wife named Mary) and an engineer who ended up living in London (he also married an Eliza).

I hope this all makes sense and would be very grateful if anyone could help  :)
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: Vernons in Winsford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 07 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am still looking for marriages but I did find these entries, do not know if they will help you :-\

George Vernon Christened in Over 25 April 1824 parents were John and Martha

The George Vernon Christened  6 March 1825 had parents named James and Sarah

John and Martha had at least two other children Elizabeth Christened 29 September 1826 and Samuel Christened 22 March 1829

Frances :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 07 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Frances you are a star.

The George christened in 1824 fits very well, as on census details up to 1881 his birth year is recorded as varying between 1823 - 1826, (his marriage certificate in 1846 just says "of full age") however as I said his father was definitely John and his first born daughter was named Martha.

I've no idea how the 15 year old George ended up in Lancashire as a boiler maker, however, when his father was a tailor in Cheshire. Although the lady he was boarding with was a silk weaver (he went on to marry one of her daughters).

Many thanks
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Brooks - Devon
Massey - Lancashire

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a marriage index that shows a John Vernon married a Martha Woods at St Wilfreds Davenham dated 8/12/1823.

After that date their are plenty of John Vernon and Elizabeth marriages, but only one that shows an Eliza, its Dated 13/March/1836 Eliza Hampson at St Mary Gt Budworth.

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter.

Not being that au fait with the geography of Cheshire how far would Davenham/Winsford/Gt. Budworth be from each other? Am I right in saying that they are all in the registration district of Northwich?
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Brooks - Devon
Massey - Lancashire

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

All very confusing I know, but in the 1841 and 1851 census there were two John Vernon's both tailors, both born 1803. In about the same area of Cheshire
One married to Martha and one to Elizabeth ? Are you mixing these two up when you say he may have been married twice ?

As with today most marriages were conducted in the parish of the bride, so where they marry can be a bit misleading when looking for a male and trying to identify him with a birthplace.

However the links below should help with the geography

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/chs/davenham.html

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/chs/wharton.html

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/chs/greatbudworth.html

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes I did see the other John Vernon (although I didn't realise he was a tailor as well), however, because my George states in every census up to 1891 that he was born in Winsford and the other children of that John were all born in Moulton I suppose I went towards the other 1803 John who had Over (and I knew Over was an area in Winsford) down as his place of birth and current place of residence. However, as I said, in 1841 and 1851 the Over John Vernon is married to an Eliza who is far too young to be George's mother so I thought she may be a second marriage.

I do appreciate your help on this one, many thanks, and thank you as well for the links. I think I definitely need to familiarise myself with Cheshire geography!

Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Brooks - Devon
Massey - Lancashire