Author Topic: St Pancras Workhouse Records - Strange Abbreviation!  (Read 3807 times)

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron Perry, killed in action aged 22, 06.08.1943
    • View Profile
St Pancras Workhouse Records - Strange Abbreviation!
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, after spending an exhausting day at the London Metropolitan Archives searching the workhouse records I am confused. Searching for a John Brett born abt. 1825, I came across a chap of the same name who entered aged 11 in 1835. He left in 1845, which would fit with the marriage I have in 1846. However, why did he stay so long when they were normally apprenticed out as soon as possible? In the far right hand column on the records, headed "Remarks" is the abbreviation H.C. next to his entry. This appears to have been written at his time of exit as opposed to entry as the ink is different. This abbreviation had two ladies at the record office stumped, so I'm passing it over to the knowledgable people of this forum! Thanks, Jo.

Edited to add that he went on to be a carpenter and disappears by 1861, although his wife and kids are still about!
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Pancras Workhouse Records - Strange Abbreviation!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 22:41 GMT (UK) »
A wild guess..House Carpenter,seeing that was what he ended up doing, and the reason he didn't leave till he was 21..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 07 00:11 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea really, but I'll bet he was some glad to get out of that place and have a life, after all those years!

Do you suppose he could have served his apprenticeship right there in the workhouse?

Here are the names of some books which I have accumulated.  I do not have the books in my possession, but they are in some libraries.  Perhaps you will find a clue in one of them, if no one else knows:

Longmate, Norman.  The workhouse.  London : Temple Smith, 1974.  320 p.   ISBN:  0851170382 

Webb, Cliff.   London, Middlesex and Surrey workhouse records : a guide to their nature and location.  Surrey : West Surrey Family History Society, [1998], c1999, rev. 20 p.  ISSN:  0261-5673

Morrison, Kathryn. Workhouse : a study of poor-law buildings in England.  Swindon : Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1999.   255 p.  ISBN 1873592361.  Includes bibliographical references (p. 240-243) and index.

Marshall, J. D.   The Old Poor Law, 1795-1834; prepared for the Economic History Society. 
London, Macmillan, 1968. 

Englander, David.   Poverty and poor law reform in Britain : from Chadwick to Booth, 1834-1914.
London : Longman, 1998.  142 p.    ISBN:  0582315549(pbk.) 

Derek Fraser, ed. The New Poor Law in the nineteenth century.  London : Macmillan, 1976.   218 p.   ISBN:  0333166558
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I did check the apprenticeship indentures and ther was no record of him being apprenticed. I'll have a look for those books, thanks, Jo
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
In general indentures were kept by the parent and the master although in the case of the workhouse this might replace the father.

It was normal practice for workhouses to place young poor boys in apprenticeships and the workhouse records and prior to 1834 those of the overseers of the poor were the places to look for apprenticeships.  After 1834 one would expect to find details in the records and minutes of the guardians of the poor.  Is this where you were looking when you said you had looked at the workhouse records?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I can't remember what the name of the record was, I was a bit boggle-eyed by that time! It was basically a book (on film) full of children in the workhouse and the details of their apprenticeships. There was a separate folder for the guardians so I guess I didn't look thoroughly! I am thinking that the C in the H.C. may be carpenter, but this abbreviation didn't appear anywhere else in the 10 years preceding and following 1845, unlike "removed" which appeared a lot  ;). Jo

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 07 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it doesn't mean anything, and is just the initials of someone who needed to verify something for some reason?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jo
Hope you dont mind this enquiry but I am trying to track the records of my Great grandfather who died in St Pancras Workhouse (in 1899) and my grandmother who was put in the workhouse for a while before being transferred to an orphanage (in 1904).  Would you mind telling me what records in particular you looked at?  I know i have to get a researcher to do the deed but thought it would be better and cheaper if I could give them more details of what I wanted looked at. 
Thank you
Kind regards
Jill
Strathalbyn
South Australia
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk uk

1700 - 1850 (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire): RICHES, BOND, MONEY, FOSTER, POTTER, MOBS. COPELAND
1750 - > (Devon, Hampshire) HUTTON, LONGMAN
STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I looked at the admissions for the years surrounding, although the records are different for the years you are talking about. It's all on microfilm, so it's easy to find, and i expect a professional would find it very quickly anyway as all I did was ask for the record when I got there and they took me to it straight away. Jo