Author Topic: Can you date this please  (Read 1771 times)

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
  • 5th Generation - Noah Thomas 1874
    • View Profile
Can you date this please
« on: Sunday 11 February 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
This picture was in Edinburgh but we do not know who it is, if we can date it might give us a clue.

Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you date this please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
As before, can offer a wash and brush up
Mudge

Offline tabsearch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Whitfield Longley 1894 - 1972
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 07 14:26 GMT (UK) »
One more

David
Please feel free to colour or improve for the benefit of the poster but an acknowledgement would be appreciated

Offline tabsearch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Whitfield Longley 1894 - 1972
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 14:31 GMT (UK) »
And a b&w
Please feel free to colour or improve for the benefit of the poster but an acknowledgement would be appreciated

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this site to find when the photographer was working in Edinburgh.
http://edinphoto.org.uk/P/photographers_We.htm
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the great restorations!.. I am spoilt for choice.

I have looked at the website and C wright was open til 1877/80 which means this was taken around that time

Do you think the man looks older than the lady, I am thinking father and daughther? 

Thanks guys
Jan
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 07 16:20 GMT (UK) »
My initial thought on a date for this study (and yes I think that it could be a father and daughter as well) would be mid to late 1870's or sometime from the latter part of the 1870's to about 1883, as you have now found when the photographer was operating at that address both of my date lines would fit into it somewhere.
The elderly man is wearing a high (possibly rolled edged) waistcoat, the neck tie that he has on would have been tied around a possible winged collar such as Dux, Stand or a Shakespere and the tie would have been known as a four in hand. He has small steps to his short widthed lapels to his jacket and, as with the waistcoat and trousers this would appear to be almost, if not, everyday wear for him. His boots have rounded toe sections (prior to 1870 they had been more squared off). The book that he is holding is more often or not a prop given over by the photographer however in this case along with book he is holding, in his left hand, his glasses which would indicate that he was suffering from some eye defect. His shortish hair and facial hair also points me to this time span.

The woman has a centre parting to her hair, with the hair brushed back leaving the ears exposed and up at the back in
in a possible small bun or plaited bun. The sleeve's to her dress are full to the wrist and are deep cuffed, she has no kick up to the shoulder and with the flap of overriding material it gives the appearence of dropped shoulders. Cuff's, collar and borders to the shoulder area have lace work as does the front of her dress at the top either side of the six buttons that run down the middle. As there is no overskirt to the dress this would also place the picture in the same time period as I have already said. Finally is it me or does she looking like she is expectng or is it the way she is standing  ;D

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 07 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Old Rowley, I trust your dates as you were right on the last one I asked about (thomas family 1926 general strike).
I am thinking she is Mary Flint and her father.. i think she is preggies too..On another thread i put another picture so maybe this was her husband.... I do wish they had wrote their names on these pictures... my uncle in law had them and he didnt know who they were either!

There is some kind of stamp on the back of the pictures but not very clear, i will see if i can put them on the site too for you to look at....

Many thanks for the dates and explaining their clothes for me!  Very interesting.

Jan 
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi foggy  :)

I see Old Rowley has beaten me to the post  ;D  but I thought I'd pop in anyway to say that I agree with the date - late 1870s definitely.  The colour of the card and the printing style indicate this as well as the clothing.  Even if you didn't have the photographer's details, I reckon you could put money on this being within a year or two of 1878.

Cheers
Prue