Author Topic: Walter SCOTT - my runaway Gt Grandfather c.1904  (Read 2847 times)

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
Walter SCOTT - my runaway Gt Grandfather c.1904
« on: Sunday 11 February 07 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Everyone has a Black Sheep/Skeleton in the Cupboard, and this one is mine:- my great Grandfather Walter SCOTT, born on 6 October 1867, in Christchurch,
Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England; son of John Scott & Hannah Doncaster of Euximoor Grange Farm, Christchurch.

He has no middle name and looking at other family names, Walter is a very unusual name to have been used. I can only assume that my Gt Gt Grandmother must've enjoyed reading Sir Walter Scott's novels!

Walter had two younger siblings, Frederick, bn 1870, & Emily, bn 1877.

Walter married Annie Maria LAVENDER, daughter of William & Mary LAVENDER, Herbalists, of Chatteris on 27 October 1890 in the Wesleyan Chapel, Chatteris,Cambridgeshire.

Their 1st child, Grace (my Grandmother), was born on 8 November 1892 at Honey Farm, Stonea, nr Wimblington.

There were 2 more children: Frederick Gabriel (bn 1895) & and Eveline (bn 1901).

As far as my Dad knows from family talk, on the day that Walter disappeared, he had taken some of his father's cattle to market in King's Lynn, Norfolk, sold them,
banked the money for his father and was never seen again!

Another version is that Walter and his men took some cattle to Bury St. Edmunds market, which they had reared at Christchurch. It would have taken several days as
they were walked the entire way. Walter sold them, paid the men, and should have gone back to the farm to hand in the money. This is the good bit - Walter took the
money, which would have been considerable, and went to Canada with a servant girl, and was never seen again.

When Walter did his "runner"- in about 1904 - he was alledgedly accompanied by the local school mistress (who is supposed to have disappeared on the same day) or by the family nursemaid, Eliza SEE.

All I know is that his signature was seen a few years later in a Hotel register [in Canada] by one of his English cousins, John Francis, who just happened to book in at the same hotel the day after Walter SCOTT signed out!
(This was before the First World War]
The description given by the Hotel staff apparently fitted Walter to a T!

This is the only known "sighting" of Walter, so the SCOTT’s assumed Walter went to Canada BUT he could just as easily have gone to America - or Australia - or New Zealand - or anywhere!
His family were farmers so I would assume he got a land grant and started farming - but WHERE is the big question!

But until I can find someone in any of those countries who descends from Walter and a possible 2nd family, I have no idea where he ended up.

And time is running out for my father, who's 83 this year. He never knew his grandfather and is very keen to find out what happened to him.

N.B. An awful lot of Scottish families with the surname SCOTT also emigrated in their 1000s to Canada, the USA & Australia - and Walter was a very popular christian name!

The above text is a slightly edited version of my webpage about my gt grandfather:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/Scott/walter&annie_maria.html
where there are also 2 pictures.

Does anyone connect with Walter????

p.s. have spent hours trawling the new online Passenger Lists at FindMyPast - there's too many Walters and not enough definitive infomation :(

Ann

CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Walter SCOTT - my runaway Gt Grandfather c.1904
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 07 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Do you know what city the hotel was in that John Francis possibly saw Walter's signature?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Unfortunately, I don't.  And the 2 people that I could ask [John Francis' 2 remaining children still alive] are not in a fit state to tell me :(   One is in his mid 90s, the other had a stroke 2 years ago.

I only found out about Walter back in March, 2000 when Dad told me; and he only told me then because we'd been round the Churchyard recording family headstones and I couldn't find one for Walter and asked why!  It was all kept very hush hush as the family were leading figures in the local Methodist Church!

By the way, the correct link for my webpage is:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/SCOTT/walter&annie_maria.html

Ann

CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 09 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Have you thought about looking for a passport application for Walter?  He might not have left the country right away so you might check up to WW1.  Also what about war service records?  Even if he emigrated he might have served in Commonwealth forces if not returned to UK?

HTH
Heather

OOPS!  Just noticed the date of the original post.  Hope you've found him by now :-[
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 09 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

No, I haven't found him yet; beginning to wonder if I ever will   ???

I've looked at the passport question, and I don't believe he needed one to travel to a Commonwealth country pre-1914 - but will check on that one again.

Re: military service - he was 47 when war broke out in 1914.  I wouldn't have thought he'd been involved, being a farmer.

Back to the hunt   ;D

Ann.