Author Topic: First digital camera - one question please  (Read 2165 times)

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
First digital camera - one question please
« on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:15 GMT (UK) »
My new camera has arrived and I am trying to learn the basics.  I am confused regarding the megapixels !!
I can understand the concept of the amount of megapixels and yet cannot quite grasp it.
I know that If I want to print out larger prints I need a higher pixel amount.  So I have deduced that if I want to either print smaller pictures or display on my p.c. screen a less number is required.  My question is that if I set my camera to a smaller number of pixels will the picture come out smaller on my p.c.  screen?
Is it better therefore to set my camera to say 6 megapixels and then once I download to my p.c. reduce the size or should I set the camera to say 1 or 2 megapixels for a smaller image on my p.c.  Is the quality of the picture different or just the size.
The pictures that I have been taking are huge and overflow my p.c. screen, and would like to know what setting of pixels I should use on my camera.
Hope this makes sense!!
Any answers appreciated.
Thank you
Brenda

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First digital camera - one question please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:45 GMT (UK) »
The best thing it to experiment, take a variety of picture of varying settings then you will learn what suits your requirements best. For normal every day requirement a small to medium is quite sufficient, you only need to go for higher quality if you want to print to A4 size.

Trial and error is the only way to learn and get the feel of your camera.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline d.weaving

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Brenda...a 3-5 megapixel pic will give you a resolution size of 1280 times 960 = pixels on your Pc with no loss of quality...mine are taken in jpeg format...I could blow that resolution 8 times with little loss of quality...hope that helps.
Derek.

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I read an article by a professional photographer. He said that if you have a 6 megapixel camera then thats what you should use . After all you have paid for it !

If you want to download a pic then you can make it smaller but don't lose your quality.

The more resolution you have then the more you can zooooooom in and do any fine alterations.

To give you an idea , I have taken pics of birds (the ones that fly) and you can zoom right in and look at individual feathers.

It's all a matter of what you want to do with them !

I hope this helps a little

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 20:21 GMT (UK) »
My question is that if I set my camera to a smaller number of pixels will the picture come out smaller on my p.c.  screen?

The smaller the pixels, the worse the image. So if you set it to the highest setting, you will get an image that is as good as a photo. If you set it at the lowest, it will make an image that will make a tolerable image on your PC, but not on a full screen. But it will be fine for sending a quickie picture to friends and family on email.

Whatever the size, you can make it fit your PC screen, but if you use a smaller pixel number, it might look a bit grainy. Larger, and it will look great.

I always set my camera to the highest setting, as I can always downgrade. But that means I can take fewer images. So I bought a larger chip that holds more images.

Hope that makes sense.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank yo all so much for the replies.
I am quite a bit more knowledgeable now.
My new camera has settings from 640 to 7 megapixels.  The settings show that on the largest (7 megapixels) I can store only about 9 pictures going up to over a hundred on the lowest pixel setting of 640.  I have not yet got a memory card so from your replies I think that I shall set it on 3 or 4 at the moment and see how they come out.
Am I right in understanding that if I set the camera to 7 the picture will come out huge on the p.c. screen and clear and if I set the camera to the lowest pixel (640) the picture on the p.c. screen will still be huge but not very good.  Or will the picture come out smaller on the p.c. screen ?

Thanks
Brenda  (almost getting the knack!!)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
You've about got it. Whatever you do, it'll fill your screen. But the higher the pixels, the better the image. If the setting is lower, then the image will not be as good (but if you don't want photographic quality, it'll be fine.)

3 or 4 sounds good. Take a few pictures of the garden/cat/ dog/children/ whatever and see how it turns out. After all, they cost nothing! (A new concept that takes getting used to).

Good luck

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 07 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I never ever use a setting less than the maximum.When it comes to printing the file can't be too big and it can always be reduced for screen use.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 07 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again. I will get a memory card as soon as I can and then I won;t have to be concerned at the size of the file if I chose the highest pixel setting.  I wouldn't want to go away on my hols and use the high setting and then find I have no room to store the pics until I get home to download them.  I reckon taking a laptop that will store them may be my next objective !!!
Brenda