Author Topic: First digital camera - one question please  (Read 2163 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: First digital camera - one question please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 07 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Just to add my 2 cents worth, definitely use the highest setting, that way you get the best quality original possible as this will capture the most detail and colour quality.  It can always be resized for viewing at a later stage without loss of quality.  It is very hard to increase the quality of a poor original!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 07 07:05 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't want to go away on my hols and use the high setting and then find I have no room to store the pics until I get home to download them.  I reckon taking a laptop that will store them may be my next objective !!!

Buy two chips - buy three! Cheaper than a laptop.

Depending where you are going, you might find a shop where you can download your images fro a chip to a CD. They are becoming increasingly common.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
If you are going to print pictures they should be taken at the highest setting.

That is what I always use.  For emailing and putting on the web you need to use software to reduce the size.  I use adobe photoshop elements but find it very unintuitive to use (despite going on a course!).

We found last year that even in small towns in France and Spain, there would be a photography shop which would download from the card to a CD.

BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 07 10:08 GMT (UK) »
bjo - like you we're new to the digital camera experience and also found our camera came with a stupidly small memory card (held 4 pictures at normal resolution). We found an excellent forum site that suggested that memory cards are much cheaper online & gave a few suggested suppliers. My own research confirmed this - got two 1GB cards for less than the price of one in cheapest local shop (supermarket).
Happy snapping!