Author Topic: 1891 census lookup for Dunbartonshire please  (Read 9611 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
1891 census lookup for Dunbartonshire please
« on: Monday 22 November 04 21:20 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to the 1891 census for Old Kilpatrick parish, I would be greatful for help.
I am searching for the family living at -
27 Old Street, Duntocher, (parish of Old Kilpatrick)  DNB.

In 1894, John Gallacher is a witness on the death cert. of my GG Aunt Jane Stewart - he says he is her "brother in law", and his address is given as 27 Old Street, Duntocher.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census lookup for Dunbartonshire please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe a bit late Debbie, and you may have this already  ;D
I don't have 1891 Census but John GALLACHER was at Old Street in 1881  - it doesn't have a number, but  looks like could be your quarry?
Regards
Anne

Dwelling:   Old St
   Census Place:   Old Kilpatrick, Dumbarton, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203552     GRO Ref    Volume 501    EnumDist 10    Page 13
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
John GALLACHER   M   44    M   Ireland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   General Labourer
Mary GALLACHER   M   40    F   Ireland
   Rel:   Wife
Mary GALLACHER   U   17    F   Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   Cotton Thread Mill Worker
Hannah GALLACHER   U   15    F   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
   Occ:   Cotton Thread Mill Worker
Fanny GALLACHER       13    F   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
   Occ:   Scholar
John GALLACHER       12    M   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
Francis GALLACHER       10    M   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
Margaret GALLACHER       8    F   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
James GALLACHER       6    M   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
Edward GALLACHER       5    M   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
Jane GALLACHER       4    F   Duntocher, Dunbarton, Scotland
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1881 information.
I was originally chasing that particular John Gallacher with wife Mary when I first seen them in the 1881. 

But then I was given extra information that there was another (2nd) John Gallacher living in Old Street by the 1890's.  So that threw a wrench in my works!
The other John Gallacher was married to Rachel Finlay.

So now, I am trying to follow through on both families in hopes that I will be able to figure out which of the two could possibly be the brother in law to Jane (Stewart) Salisbury.

Deb

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Joanna 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 05 01:01 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will be of any help to you. The 2nd John Gallacher you found worked in the shipyard, his parents were John Gallacher (coal dealer) and Mary Morrow. I am related to his wife Rachel Finlay

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 05 20:14 BST (UK) »
Oh my!!   :) :)
Thank you for that info Joanna, I think you have cracked the case.
So, now on Old Street, I have John Gallacher & Elizabeth McColl, John Gallagher and Rachel Finlay, and John Gallacher & Mary Morrow.  But thanks to you telling me this last one is listed as the coal dealer, he must be the one who lived at #27 as he appears in the 1894 trade directory.  So it's either him or Mary Morrow that's related to my Stewarts!

Thank you, Thank you!

You are related to Rachel?  You are a relative of Elaine's then?  Elaine is the g granddaughter of Rachel's sister.

If you have any more info on those Gallachers, I sure would appreciate  it!!

Debbie

Offline Joanna 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
Yes I am related to Elaine, My Grandmother and Elaine's Great Grandmother were sisters. Unfortunately I don't have any more information on the older Gallacher generation, all I know is that they lived in Duntocher as did my family (that is where I was raised) If you would like information on John Gallacher and Rachel Finlays family I can give you that.

Joanna

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 05 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna,

yes please - I would be thrilled if you could add to the info I have on John & Rachel's family.  Here is what I already have, most of the info sent to me by Elaine.

Descendants of John Gallacher

1     John GALLACHER               
.      +Rachel FINLAY   Born: November 02, 1874   Married: December 30, 1892 in Duntocher      Father: Thomas FINLAY   Mother: Anne MCINTYRE
.....   2     Mary GALLACHER   Born: Abt. 1893            
.....   2     Annie GALLACHER   Born: August 11, 1894 in 28 Old Street, Duntocher            
.....   2     Rachel GALLACHER   Born: December 22, 1895 in 26 Old Street, Duntocher            
.....   2     James GALLACHER   Born: December 26, 1897 in 41 New Street, Duntocher            
.....   2     Catherine GALLACHER   Born: July 21, 1899 in 32 New Street, Duntocher            

Would I be right in assuming that you have a copy of John & Rachel's marriage certificate?  A transcript of it would be very much appreciated.   :)
It will save me ordering it off scotlandspeople. 

Thank you again for giving me John's parents!  I am off to search out the marriage of John Gallacher and Mary Morrow now.

Are you still in Duntocher?

Deb

Offline Joanna 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the marriage certificate for my Aunt Rachel and John Gallacher and copies of birth certificates for all their children plus their daughter Rachel's marriage certificate, if you would like them also let me know.
Elaine has incorrect information for Mary Gallacher her birth date is 31 December 1892.
I am very new to this site and not sure how to e mail you any of the certificates through the site. I can do it if I can e mail you direct and not through Roots.
I was born in Dalmuir, Dumbartonshire, Scotland. We now live in London, Ontario, Canada

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 July 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a PM with my email address.   :) :) :)