Author Topic: 1891 census lookup for Dunbartonshire please  (Read 9612 times)

Offline Joanna 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census lookup for Dunbartonshire please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 July 05 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank You, you can reach me direct at kjglendinning@sympatico.ca

Joanna

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 October 05 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna & Everyone,

I thought you might like to know that I have finally solved the mystery of which John Gallacher, and how he could be the brother in law of my Jane (Stewart) Salisbury.   ;D

And I wanted to post the success story on the forum to show that brick walls can be broken, and this one was solved directly by the help of researchers here!!

On Scotlandspeople I ordered the DC of Jane's husband - Joseph Salisbury.  And there was John Gallacher again, witness on his certificate, claiming brother in law status.
So, I searched for any marriages with a Salisbury/Gallacher connection, or a Stewart/ Gallagher connection.
Nothing jumped out at me, so I thought - what the heck, I better take a good look at the marriage certificate of John Gallacher and Mary Morrow.  Maybe.... just maybe there is something on there that will give me another clue.

Well, I nearly dropped when I seen the parents of Mary Morrow.  Her father was James Morrow, and her Mother was Mary DOWALL.

That was the name of Jane (Stewart) Salisburys Mother.
So it was a maternal relationship that joined these two families!

So here is my scenario -

Mary Dowall married Thomas Stewart before 1836 in Donegal, Ireland.  Thomas died young, I knew he was dead before 1857, but what if he died even earlier?  Say 1840?
 And Mary remarries James Morrow in Ireland just in time to have daughter Mary in 1841.
That would make Mary Morrow & Jane Stewart 1/2 sisters.  And John Gallacher would definitely be the brother in law of Jane.

Thanks to everyone here for helping to solve this mystery.   8)

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Joanna 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 October 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Well done Debbie, congratulations

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 October 05 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joanna!  That makes us related by Marriage now, as Mary Morrow was the Mother to your John Gallacher that married Rachel Finlay.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Helen15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 January 07 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Ive sent a PM to Joanna and Debbie, also tried to email Joanna.  If they don't get either then here is some more info re John and Rachel Gallacher.

Rachel Gallacher is my great Grandmother.  She had 16 children.  The youngest of which was Andrew Gallacher.  Andrew married Helen Baxter and they had two sons Andrew and Eric Gallacher.  Andrew married Margaret and they had a daughter Andrea and Son called Mark (both now married and have children. Eric (my dad) married Louisa McIntosh and then I came along Helen Gallacher then my brother Eric Robert Gallacher.  Eric is Married to Angela and I am married to George Robertson.

We are trying to track down a photograph taken of Rachel and all her faimily.  It appeared in the Daily Record Newspaper.  It was quite a big spread and it was taken at her home in Garbraid Avenue Maryhil (were she and all the family lived at that time.) Rachel died on 6th August 1961 aged 86.

If anyone can help regarding this photo or any other info  it would be brilliant. :)

My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 January 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen!

Lovely to hear from you!!   Rachel and John had 16 children?  Good gracious, I have only 5 of them recorded in my papers.  Mary, Annie, Rachel, James and Catherine.

Makes you wonder how those gals managed to keep up with a brood of 16!! 

I will copy down your main email addy, and put together a report on the info I have on the Gallacher's.  :)

I will do that right away for you.

Brilliant to meet another cousin!!
Debbie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 January 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say..........

Helen, if you find a copy of that picture from the newspaper, I sure would love to see that as well!

Offline Helen15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 January 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Debbie

Sent you an email, as soon as I get the picture I will forward it to you.

I will be in the Mitchell Library on 31st of this month.  Determined to find it as I want to get if for my Dad's 60th.

Thank you so much for all your info.

When I get more info from my dad I wll collate and send all our info.

Thanks again

Helen

Offline Joanna 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 January 07 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Debbie I have lost your e-mail address, please send it to me at *

Regards Joanna
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php