Author Topic: Corriehill Cottage, Hutton  (Read 3603 times)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Corriehill Cottage, Hutton
« on: Saturday 07 October 06 08:36 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, Robert Martin, died on 20/02/1899 at Corriehill Cottage.  His death was registered at Hutton Schoolhouse.  Does anyone have any information on whether this cottage would still be around (most probably changed name) or whereabouts it was?

Thanks,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corriehill Cottage, Hutton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

If you search for 'Corriehills' on streetmap.co.uk, it shows a place to the east of Lockerbie - does that sound plausible?  There appears to be a Hutton parish also http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/sct/DFS/index.html

Hope this helps a little

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dryfesdale Hutton Corriehills
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 17:18 GMT (UK) »
In reply to  someone asking for info on Corriehills Cottage (Sorry I can't find the thread to follow, and have just wiped out my hopefully helpful comments!) I try again. There is a little known Corriehills burial ground,not far from Hutton Schoolhouse,where the birth of an ancestor of mine was recorded in 1874.       I successfully found two well built cottages my ancestors had lived in dating from the 1800's--both in very good condition. The old property around Hutton Corrie was built on The Castle Milk Estates. You could try writing to the agents---Castlemilk and Corrie Estates,Norwood, Lockerbie,Dumfriesshire DG11 2QX. Tel 01576  510203   or Fax 01576 510362. I also found my Gt. Grandfather's grave along with other family members in Corrie hills cemetery. It is quite hidden away,and you need to get permission from the farmer who now owns the land to park and go through his farm.(Corriehall Farm) His wife(Mrs Paterson) was very helpful,and her two grandchildren helped us to clean the gravestones so that we could read and photograph the M.I,s. When we next visit Hutton Corrie,I shall try to find  more information for you . Did you say the name was Martin?. My Gt. Grandfather was Martindale. He married a Bell who came from a Johnstone,and they lived at Sheepknowe. Hutton Corrie. He died at Penlaw Brae,nearby. Hutton Schoolhouse is still there,surrounded by countryside. It's a great area.If anyone out there has any info on Martindales in Scotland I'm all ears . Good wishes , Corriebell ::)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corriebell,

A very warm welcome to Rootschat  :)

I've merged your thread to the original post so hopefully Andrea will se your post.

All the best,
Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 07 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Pam for reuniting me with Andrea's posting.Corriebell

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi mclachlan
Nothing new from me on the Martins but possibly another bit of gen on Corriehill.

If you go to www.old-maps.co.uk and enter Corrie Common.  Then move down/South by 7 clicks you should see Corriehill in the bottom left hand corner.  A bit of tweaking maybe and then enlarging using the 'magnifier' at the bottom (forgive me if you are familiar with old-maps) you will see Site of the Old Church marked and the burial ground people have mentioned.
It is as Corriebell says, to the east of Lockerbie by about 4 miles.

The map date is 1862

Regards
Reiver

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver and Andrea

Just a couple of tips from someone who has clicked herself to oblivion on the the old-maps site  :P

Firstly , when you have the map section that you need, if you look at the top right hand corner, this will show a set of co-ordinates. Make a note of these and then you can go back at a later date through the main search page using these co-ordinates to the exact spot (left hand side under 'Home' and then press co-ordinate button).

So, with Reiver's location, insert these co-ordinates: 320026,584476 to take you the Corrie Church and graveyard. If you click on the 'enlarged view' button at the bottom, it will also enlarge the whole map section.

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk