Author Topic: Job Smith Born 1865 Plaxtol, Kent  (Read 1521 times)

Offline missjano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Job Smith Born 1865 Plaxtol, Kent
« on: Sunday 11 February 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with this one.
According to the Family Search.org their was a Job Smith born 1865 in PLAXTOL, KENT.
His parents were Josiah & Alice Smith.
Although, I have most of the details on Josiah & Alice Smith and all there children, and their children etc. I cannot find a reference anywhere else for Job Smith.

The whole family were travellers, and resided between Kent/Surrey over the years, along with their little clans of Penfolds/Gardners/Smiths/Lanes.

Smith Kent/Surrey.  Penfold Surrey.  Gardner Surrey.  Lane Berkshire/Surrey.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: Job Smith Born 1865 Plaxtol, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking under Jos for Joseph or Jo for John ?
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Missjano

I am part of the Penfold/ Smith family ... and I have been searching for my Romany people for a while..

I did find a Job Smith , Gypsy b Kent, living with other Smiths on Piltdown Commons, Sussex...his age is off but he seems to be the only Job Smith around.

RG11/1055 fol 39 pg 15

Do you have his family in the 1871 census...Job would only be 5 at the time! If you do have them then, maybe he is with them under a different name ! ::)

I will look further

regards
Deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 07 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

I noticed Miss Jano's post.  Her, I and one other are tracing the Gardners/Penfolds/Smiths/Lanes etc of Kent/Surrey and together have pooled quite a bit of information.   My direct relatives are Gardners but they married into the Penfolds, Smiths, Lanes etc.

We know a Gardner migrated to Australia through someone contacting from there so are sharing information there also.

If you want to share research also do pm either me or Miss Jano  ;D  We email each other in a group when we've found anything which is very helpful!
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline missjano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 07 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Missjano

I am part of the Penfold/ Smith family ... and I have been searching for my Romany people for a while..

I did find a Job Smith , Gypsy b Kent, living with other Smiths on Piltdown Commons, Sussex...his age is off but he seems to be the only Job Smith around.

RG11/1055 fol 39 pg 15

Do you have his family in the 1871 census...Job would only be 5 at the time! If you do have them then, maybe he is with them under a different name ! ::)

I will look further

regards
Deb

I am now thinking that Job Smith born in 1865  may be my Great Great Grandfather John Smith born in 1869, for whom I have all the census records, and that maybe Job and John were the same person. Both their parents were Josiah & Alice Smith. Thanks everyone!!
Smith Kent/Surrey.  Penfold Surrey.  Gardner Surrey.  Lane Berkshire/Surrey.