Author Topic: Birth of Clara Powell, c1869  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Clara Powell, c1869
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 June 05 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Just shows what a great site this is!! Glad you've got a new found relative and information.

By the way have just noticed from your original post you were looking for Pool Head - Poolhead is 2 miles east of Northwood - next to Waterloo - where my brother lives - near Whixall where I play Crown Green Bowls!!

Small World!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline poppies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 05 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
Pleased to hear from you. Very willing to share research.
To start with. Yes, William & Mary were Samuel's parents.
William married Mary Austin at Hordley Church on 27th. December 1826.
Samuel was bap. on 30 Nov. 1829 at Hordley. There were 5 more sons Thomas 1833, William 1834 George 1837, James1843, Joseph 1846 &  1 daughter Sarah 1839. Info from Shropshire fhs index, Prees Green Register of Baptisms 1824-1837 & another source which I have forgotten.
On the 1841 census, near Bostock Hall Whixall, a Mary Powell widow aged 75 of independent means is living with William & Mary who I have assumed is his mother.
Samuel married Emma Deakin (dau. of Joshua & Elizabeth nee Lane) on 27th. December 1851 at Wem Independent Chapel.
Their children were William 1853, Annie 1855, Caroline 1857, Leah 1859, Mary 1862, Frances & Benjamin 1864, Elizabeth 1867, Clara 1869, Matilda 1872, Joseph 1874, Agnes 1875 and Lydia 1878 all born Pool Head, Edstaston.
Will post more info soon.

Adams, Arrowsmith, Beckett, Brassey, Claypole, Davie, Deakin, Ennion,  Ford, Frost, Galsworthy, Griffin, Griffiths, Hargreaves, Holdcroft, Holliday, Kendall, Krebs, McLaren, Powell, Shone, Smith, Wilding.

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 05 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Poppies, that's wonderful!

One thing you may be able to shed some light on (or maybe not).

My uncle Seymour (sadly died a couple of years ago) always said that his Grandad (ie Joseph Owen snr - husband of Clara) was the Molecatcher of Wem. He was proud because he kept and treasured his 'molecatcher' spade.

To be honest, it always sounded a bit fanciful to me - firstly, we knew nothing of a Wem connection, and secondly, when we found a connection, it was the Powell family, not the Owen one.

However, perhaps I was too dismissive. Maybe there is some credence, but perhaps he mixed up his grandfather with another famliy member.

Have you heard anything remotely familiar?

And thanks again for the info!!!!

Neil

Offline poppies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Sorry but I have not heard about the Molecatcher of Wem.
I didn't know who Clara had married until I saw your message. (Incidently one of my grandsons is  Joseph Owen)
Who was Tom Owen? Was he Clara's son? I was looking through some newspaper cuttings today & he is a 'nephew' at Elizabeth's funeral.
 I do not know when Samuel & Emma moved from Pool Head to Hack Green (it was after 1881 census) or how many children moved with them. William went to work in Birkenhead for a time but was at Cotton by 1881 census and lived there for the rest of his life. He was married Emma Ennion from Handley, near Chester. Their eldest child was born in Tranmere in 1878.
Caroline married Davenport; Agnes married Jones;
Elizabeth married Wisdom; Joseph married someone named  Elizabeth; another daughter married someone named Ridgway; Mary was known as Polly; another daughter had two sons though unmarried.
Do you know anything more about them? Will be pleased to have any info.
Regards
Adams, Arrowsmith, Beckett, Brassey, Claypole, Davie, Deakin, Ennion,  Ford, Frost, Galsworthy, Griffin, Griffiths, Hargreaves, Holdcroft, Holliday, Kendall, Krebs, McLaren, Powell, Shone, Smith, Wilding.

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Poppies,

I'll speak to my mother at the weekend to see if she recognises anything.

By the way, where are you?

Neil

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppies

Thankyou again for the info on the Powell family. Can’t give you any info on Powells, but I can on the Owen branch that Clara married into. (If I am repeating myself, please bear with me).

Clara married Joseph Owen 18 Feb 1891. Joseph lived in Coole Lane, Baddington, and was was the son of William Owen (28.9.1832 – 16.9.1889) and Martha Dykes (c1832). Strangely, I haven’t been able to trace their marriage certificate. Martha’s parents were George Dykes (28.2.1808) and Martha Stockton (c1802); I don’t have William’s parents. William was born in Worleston, near Nantwich.

William and Martha’s family were Mary (1852), Sarah (1858), Thomas (1860), Elizabeth (1862), George (1864), Jane (1866), Joseph (1869), Charles (1871) and Lily (1876).

Clara and Joseph’s family were Thomas (1887), Reginald (1892), Oliver (1895), Doris (1897), Joseph (1900), Hilda (1902) and Margaret (1903). Other than my granfather, Joseph, I’m not sure that I remember any of them (though I’m told that I must do). My grandad, Joseph, died on 23.01.1974.

As for the Powell family moving to Hack Green – the 1901 census has:

2 Hack Green
Samuel Powell 72 Agricultural Labourer    born Bagley, Shrops
Emma Powell 65            born Wem
Joseph Powell 27  Agricultural Labourer   born Wem
Lydia Powell 23   Domestic Servant   born Wem
Fred Powell 11 (grandson)         born Acton
Samuel Powell 6 (grandson)         born Acton

11 Coole Lane
Joseph Owen 32 Agricultural Labourer   born Coole Lane
Clara Owen 32            born Pool Head, Shrops
Reginald Owen  9            born Coole Lane
Oliver  Owen 6            born Coole Lane
Doris Owen 4               born Coole Lane
Joseph Owen 9 months         born Coole Lane
Martha (mother) 69 widow         born Coole Lane
Elizabeth (sister) 38 Domestic Servant   born Coole Lane

Hack House Farm
Thomas Owen 14 Cowman on Farm      born Hack Green

Hope some of this is useful. I’ll ask my mother at the weekend if she remembers anything about the Powell family. You never know!

Offline poppies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Thanks for the info.
A few years back I visited a daughter of Fred , (grandson of Samuel & Emma) she did not known who his mother was and he always said he didn't either. She had no info about family & Fred never spoke about them.
I live near Malpas.
Where are you? I assume you were / are close to where Clara lived.
Always pleased to have more family info. Regards, Dorothy

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

Interesting!

I guess Fred's mother could be anyone from Matilda backwards (assuming that the mother was a Powell and not the father). Unlikely to be Agnes or Lydia (I assume they were twins).

The eligible unmarried ones were Mary, Leah, Annie and Frances. One explanation for Fred (and Samuel)'s mother not living with them re. the 1901 census is that she may have died.

Annie doesn't appear in the 1871 census, but at 16 we could assume that she was in service.

Caroline and Leah are missing also. They would have been 13 and 11 respectively. Is that too young to be out in service? I don't know. But Caroline married Davenport, so perhaps she's not eligible anyway.

Fred's Birth Certificate will say anyway, although perhaps not the father.

I spoke to my mother at the weekend. She doesn't know anything really about the Powell family. For some reason, her mother (my grandmother, Jane Edge) fell out with Clara, and so she never really saw that side of the family.

She remembers that they used to live in Broad Lane, on the Audlem road, just outside Nantwich, and remembers her being driven into Nantwich in a horse and trap. (I've got an old suitcase in the loft which, I'm sure, has a Broad Lane address. I must check it - it could have been hers).

She also remembers visiting her with my father at the Barony Hospital (it would have been about 1947) where she eventually died. She says she may have a photo of her somewhere.

Malpas, hey? I grew up in Nantwich, but left to work and live in Hastings, East Sussex in 1978. However, in 2001, I'd had enough of the 'rat-race' so we left to live in the Somme region of France. (My wife is French, and we have 2 little ones aged 2 and 7 months. I also have 2 brilliant kids, 18 and 19, from my first marriage).

I'll check the case and chase up a photo. I can also post you a 'family tree' print out re. the Powell connection.

Neil

Offline GladysW

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
          I was browsing the net the other day and saw your interest in Clara Powell who married Joseph Owen. Joseph Owen was the brother of my grandfather Charles Owen. Would you like to exchange information?
Can we correspond directly?

Gladys