Author Topic: How to look up a marriage cert c1813 - help please  (Read 1692 times)

Offline DevonJewel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to look up a marriage cert c1813 - help please
« on: Sunday 11 February 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I have a Richard Bat(t)ley and Sarah White who probably married c1813 (son Richard was born 3/9/1814) when son born they were in Burnham on Crouch.  How do you find Certificates pre 1837 do you have to visit the area or are there other records out there?
DJ

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: How to look up a marriage cert c1813 - help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Certificates were not issued prior to 1837, so we have to rely on Parish Register entries for information.  There are several ways to get these details, so perhaps an inquiry to the Rootschat board for the relevant county might unearth someone who has access to those records.  If not, then you can always write or even email the county council concerned and see where they have their records stored. 

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DevonJewel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 07 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - it's a long long way!  People talk of IGI does that help? or could there be look-ups or would the Mormon church have access to the records?
Sorry to be so vague I'm on a steep learning curve.
DJ

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 07 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi DJ

I am assuming that this is Essex you are searching in??

The LDS  have some Parish Records for this area, at least their catalogue says they do.  You may have to order them in though, as not all records are kept in the reading room. 

The IGI is not a complete record, it is pretty patchy and not altogether reliable, especially if the information has been submitted by another researcher.  You have to be pretty careful with it.  I already had a bit of a look before I sent my first reply and nothing useful turned up in Essex or any other county.  I also checked the Parish and Probate Records for Essex on Ancestry but could not find anything.  Of course this could just mean that they were not married in Essex.

I still think the best and cheapest thing to do is to ask for help on the Essex Requests board here on Rootschat.  Lots of people there have access to Parish Records and are willing to go look up stuff for people.  Spending money is to be avoided until all other avenues have been exhausted  8)

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 07 09:40 GMT (UK) »
If we are talking Essex here, then the Record Office is in Wharf Road Chelmsford
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DevonJewel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - a holiday in Chelmsford perhaps - different!
DJ :-\

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 07 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello DJ

If you live distant from your appropriate record offices (& I live in Australia which is rather distant) you will find the IGI (International Genealogical Index), a good starting point for parish records.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

There are other data bases on the LDS site (ancestral file and Pedigree file) but these others are all data submitted by users of the site. The IGI is the most reliable part of the data base and the Extracted records the most reliable of them. If you see this comment

Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date

then the data has been taken from a parish record, bishop's transcript or other reasonably reliable transcript. If you live near an LDS family centre, you can visit same and order copies of the required films to check for yourself the records contained therein. There are many films of church records that have not been indexed on the IGI. You can check if the LDS have any films which may help in their catalogue

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Although the submitted records
Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter

are not as reliable, they may give information that assists in your searches in other areas. For those of us living outside of England, the LDS records form a wonderful starting point for our parish records searching.

There is also a BVRI (British Vital Records Index) which has many parish records not contained on the IGI.  See this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,29667.0.html

Depending on your parish of interest, there are also other transcripts of parish records on the internet. You will find lots of links under the appropriate county boards on RootsChat. You will also find many folks there able to help with the searching.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DevonJewel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish useful info for a newbie.

Makes Devon seem quite close!

DJ

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 February 07 11:08 GMT (UK) »

Makes Devon seem quite close!

LOL  ;D  ;D  If you ever come across a John Bailey born c. 1835 parents John & Mary in Devon - do let me know - He came to Oz in 1850s & I think he lied about where he came from cause I can't find him over there - but one day I will visit the record office  :)   :)

I forgot to mention this site
http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/  which is pay to view but  quite inexpensive and useful. You can browse and search without paying.

And always remember to put your family names into google (especially if you have any unusual given or surnames), you may be surprised at what you find.

good luck

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk