Author Topic: birth listed as Ireland? what now?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth listed as Ireland? what now?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Usual Scottish naming pattern-
1st son- after father's father
2nd son- after mother's father
3rd son- after father
1st daughter- after mother's mother
2nd daughter- after father's mother
3rd daughter- after mother

Several things will throw this pattern into disarray- 2 or 3 of the males (or females) in the above list have same name, eldest son named after both grandfathers, etc. Also, a child might be named after minister or doctor (especially common if doctor saved life of mother/child or if there are lots of older children in family already). Child might also be named after dying relative or older dead sibling. Using surnames in the name is quite common in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Even today I know of boys called Irwin, Pollock, Hamill, Knox, etc. from family surnames and the midwive that delivered my eldest child is Craig (a surname in her family).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it's any help but I've found this:

Baptism Lochalsh, Ross and Cromarty

20 June 1843 Donald Matheson. Parents - Kenneth Matheson and Margt Matheson

Gadget

Added - thinking about it, why would they have their 4th child in Scotland  ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

I have seen that birth too but wasnt sure because I was told to follow earlier census birthplace ( Ireland) as probably mother knew best where she had given birth. I have always felt that Scotland was the right way to go and a family tale has always been that one of our great grand mothers was sent to university in scotland. But the jobs that family have had have not suggested this. That could explain why she had 4th child so far away. Is it possible to find out if someone went to university probably Edinburgh?
Dont know if you know much about status but if a woman was classed as INDEPENDANT on census did that mean she had been left sufficient money to survive without working? dont want to state the obvious but its best to ask?
Andrea

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Independant usual means that she has private means - a pension, annuity or enough money from something (rents, investments, etc) to keep herself.

Edinburgh is a long way from Lochalsh which is opposite Skye. See:

http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-caithness.htm

I'm not sure about Edinburgh alumni but this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumni_of_the_University_of_Edinburgh

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Have looked at 1851 census for Ross and Cromarty and there is a Donald Matheson b 1841-3 father Kenneth mother Margaret still living there. Mine were definitely in Liverpool in 1851 so that birth is not the one i'm sure. thanks for tips
Andrea