Author Topic: Marriage Shipton - Sherston/Pinkney  (Read 1071 times)

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
Marriage Shipton - Sherston/Pinkney
« on: Monday 12 February 07 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi peeps, this is my first visit to the Wiltshire section.

I am looking for details of the marriage of my great great grandparents William Shipton and Martha. I would dearly love to find out her surname so I can begin another line of enquiry.

She was born in 1810 in Pinkney or Sherston. I cannot find any marriage details for them in Gloucestershire which is where they lived (Hawkesbury) so I thought perhaps they were married in her home village.

Their eldest child was born in 1828 so I'm guessing they were married around that time.

Any information would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Shipton - Sherston/Pinkney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 07 23:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 shows 2 children born after 1837 - George 1839/40 and Ellen 1842/3

If you look for their births on the GRO index and get a copy of one of the birth certs - it will give you Martha's maiden name

Curiosity - were William's parents Thomas & Judith both aged 70 on the 1841 for Gloucs.  It's an unusual christian name/surname and I notice that William & Martha named their eldest daughter Judith

Do you already have 1841/51 details?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Shipton - Sherston/Pinkney
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's right!.... Thomas Shipton and Judith Chappell.

I have all the census details.

Thanks Carole, I never thought of getting a birth certificate.... tut. I will order a copy straight-away!
Cheers
Bee

Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould