Author Topic: GGG Grandfather or GG Grandfather?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Marc_16

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GGG Grandfather or GG Grandfather?
« on: Monday 12 February 07 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hiya.

I am wondering if someone could help me date this photo. I think that it my be my 3x great Grandfather William Cottrell , but it could be his son-in-law John Herbert. I believe that the photo was taken in Brismtage Hall, Thorton Hough, neston, Wirral.

William Hesketh Lever ( Lord Leverhume , used to own this area)

Thanks

Marc :)
Herbert -Cheshire<br />Cottrell- Neston<br />Johnson- Woodchurch<br />Cheadle- Staffordshire to Wallasey to Canada.<br />Fazakerley- Ormskirk To Woodchurch<br />Lythgoe- Wirral- Usa<br />Smith- Woodchurch ( Barnston) Wirral, Cheshire.<br />Williams- Mold to Woodchurch<br />Turnbull- Liverpool<br />Shandley & Wilde- Ireland to Liverpool to Wirral
Sadler- Birkenhead/Wirral and Shropshire
Turner-Liverpool
Vernon-Birkenhead and Liverpool and lancashire

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
Re: GGG Grandfather or GG Grandfather?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the owners of the Hall ,maybe they keep a history........it's worth a shot !

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Marc_16

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 07 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim.

Thanks for that , I never really thought of that.

Thanks

Herbert -Cheshire<br />Cottrell- Neston<br />Johnson- Woodchurch<br />Cheadle- Staffordshire to Wallasey to Canada.<br />Fazakerley- Ormskirk To Woodchurch<br />Lythgoe- Wirral- Usa<br />Smith- Woodchurch ( Barnston) Wirral, Cheshire.<br />Williams- Mold to Woodchurch<br />Turnbull- Liverpool<br />Shandley & Wilde- Ireland to Liverpool to Wirral
Turner-Liverpool

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 07 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marc,

Unfortunately, at first glance, there is nothing to date this study by as it could have been taken any time between 1900 to the late 1950's (it puts me in mind of the way the actor John Thaw dressed when he played the part in the British television one off programm "Goodnight Mister Tom"). However saying that, if that is a triby hat that he is wearing then it is no earlier than 1894 as this was when this type of men's headwear was introduced to the British public when it was worn on stage by an actor  in the play "Triby" by George de Maurier, in fact the hat takes its name from the play.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Marc_16

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Old rowley.

thanks for the explantion. I can now put a name to the face, it must be my 3x great grandfather William Cottrell. my g g grandfather was not born until 1882.

Thanks againg

Turner-Liverpool

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 07 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Can't date but here's a cleanup as a consulation  ::)
Mudge

Offline Marc_16

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Mude.

thank you very much for the clean up ;D

Marc
Turner-Liverpool