Author Topic: Parish Register Buckie - William Mckenzie  (Read 3833 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Register Buckie - William Mckenzie
« on: Tuesday 13 February 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to confirm that William McKenzie born , I believe, in Buckie in 1826 is a brother of my husband's direct line ancestor Alexander Mckenzie who was born in Rathven on 5th December 1832.  Alexander's parents were Alexander Mckenzie and Jane Carr/Kerr who married on 16th October 1824.

I found Alexander's birth in the Parish Records of Rathven on my last visit to Elgin but at that time I did not know that William existed.

William is not on the 1841 census living in the family home.  He was old enough to be working away from  home by 1841. 

Can one ever be sure they have all the sons and daughters of someone.  If someone is born and dies in between censuses and they are not on IGI LDS how can they be found if you don't know they exist.
Probably a stupid question!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Betty

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parich Register Buckie - William Mckenzie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty

I noticed no replies to this post, so thought I might try to resurrect it.

Just come of the IGI and I note a William McKenzie born in Rathven, Banff in 1826 to Alexander McKenzie and Jane Keir.  This William married an Elizabeth Russel in Keith on 7 Feb 1851 and died on 15 April 1903.

I also note that the IGI entry for 'your ' Alexander has his mothers first name as 'Jean' - am aware of the interchangeability of names   :O)

As you say, it's difficult to identify births and deaths between censuses.

You may be aware that the info regarding William Mckenzie was submitted by someone in England - perhaps yourself.  Good luck with your search.  Regards,   Steve .

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve for your reply.

From further research since this posting I do believe that this William you mention is an ancestor. 

Through Genes Reunited I have been able to see this side of the family.  It is a pity about the Jean/Jane and Keir/Carr/Kerr that we have come across which lays that bit of doubt.

Meantime thanks for your time.  It is much appreciated.

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 07 10:11 GMT (UK) »
How does William McKenzie's death certificate spell his mother's name?

Jane/Jean are universally interchangeable, as are Carr/Kerr, so there is no need for doubt about either of these; and it would not surprise me to see Keir used for Kerr, though according to G F Black's Surnames of Scotland Keir and Kerr/Carr have different origins.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register Buckie - William Mckenzie
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 07 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

I understand what you are saying.

I don't have certificates for William but I do have for Alexander, who I am sure is his brother.  On his marrage it says Jane Kerr and on his death it says Jane Carr which is a good example of interchangeable names.

Thanks for your time.

Betty

Offline T.Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 07 19:45 GMT (UK) »
If someone is born and dies in between censuses and they are not on IGI LDS how can they be found if you don't know they exist.
Probably a stupid question!!

Hello Betty

No it isnt a stupid question ! ........If the family applied for Poor Relief the records can contain a wealth of information, including children living with the applicant and ones that are absent, working away from home or serving in the army.These records have produced a few unknowns to me.

:)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

That is a form of information I have not tried.  I will give it a go.

Thanks for your time.

Betty