Author Topic: beautiful dress - when was the pic taken please?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
beautiful dress - when was the pic taken please?
« on: Tuesday 13 February 07 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A beautiful dress, a relative of my husband.
Is it possible for you to date it please?
thanks
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: beautiful dress - when was the pic taken please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
William Kyles was in Ayr from 1880 -1886. His wife listed 1888-1892.

http://www.ayrshirehistory.org.uk/Photographers/photographers2.htm

My guess before looking at the photographer was around 1880 because of hair style and dress.

Prue and Old Rowley will probably add to this.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi gadget
Good to be in touch with you again.
thanks for the info - I shall look up the photographers.
Since your earlier help, I've got one line of my Scottish ancesters (well - hubby's) back 10 generations!  8)
bye for now
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 22:47 GMT (UK) »
gadget - can you tell me what the stars by our name means? I see I've now got 3 instead of 2. And as for you - you must be top of the class!
revm

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm very pleased with your 10 generations - lucky you  :D

The stars come with the number of 'serious' postings.Click here

Bests

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Revmother,

Going by the over all attire of the sitter I would say that this photograph was taken by Mrs Kyles rather than her husband sometime between 1889 and 1893. She has her hair with a centre parting, the ears are exposed (which shows off her drop earrings lovely) and at the back of her head the hair is up in either a plaited or plain bun. The bodice top that she has on is high necked with lace and a decorative brooch at the front (which would have helped to fasten the collar) The broach, in a form of a daisy flower head matches those on the skirt. On the 6th button down  on the front of the bodice is a chateline which is attached to a small, possibly silver, watch which is tucked into the bodice hip pocket. The sleeves of the bodice show a small yet noticeable kick up at the shoulders and also has a small gigot puff to the upper sleeving. The rest of the sleeve is nipped in at intervals and is full in length to the wrist. This style of sleeve, with the kick up, came into fashion in 1889 by 1893 the small gigot sleeving was being replaced by a much larger style of puffed sleeve commonly known as the leg of mutton sleeve. Her skirt is, I believe, known as an open robe skirt and is "pulled" up in the centre to expose the underskirt (not an under skirt as one would know of today). Inside the inverted V one can see that there is an edging of black daisies. Hope that this helps.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all that detail.
after my mother in law died a few years ago, we had a share out of all the old family photographs - I coveted this one because of the posh frock, but no-one knows who it is wearing it, but with the dates we have a bit more to go on.
Thanks again
revmother.

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic photo / dress
Here's a dry clean and wash and brush up
Mudge

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Here's a B/W version
Mudge