Author Topic: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption  (Read 37032 times)

Offline Maedhbh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 33 percy street, dublin - 1939 usage
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluebelle

Thanks a million for your reply. I will phone that no. in the morning and see how I get on.  My parents were attending the doctor who delivered me.  He organised everything. He contacted them to let them know I had been born and told them to go to the nursing home. They were brought into a room in Percy Place and there I was, in a basket!  I had to stay for a few days as there was a problem with one of my eyes.
My parents were told by the doctor that my mother was very young.
I was born in January, it would have been too easy if it was March or April!!!!!  And registered on 1st February in Donnybrook.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 33 percy street, dublin - 1939 usage
« Reply #37 on: Friday 20 April 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been directed to this post after asking about babies given for adoption.  The child I am enquiring about was born in Holles Street Hospital and christened in St Andrews RC Church  This was December 1925.  Is it possible that Percy Street was going then.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline ronoc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption
« Reply #38 on: Monday 14 May 12 11:33 BST (UK) »

Hi all

I just received a birth cert this morn for 1939.  Place of birth 33 Percy Place, in attendance K Dalton.

I was wondering where this address was so used google and came accross these posts.  I had no reason to believe this person was adopted.  His parents names are both recorded on birth cert.

I am now wondering, if Percy Place was a home for unmarried mother's is it possible that married women also had their children there too?  :-\
Kehoe/Keogh, Lacey/Lacy, Whelan Wexford Town.  Sanfey-Oylegate Wexford,  Murray Co. Monaghan & Glasgow 7 Dublin, Whitmore-Dublin,  Gaines/Gains & Fox -Dublin,  Cleary/Clery-Dublin & Galway,  Wickham-Dublin, Devine-Glasgow, Kane-Dublin,  Barrett-Dublin & Co. Mayo   Docherty/Doherty-Co. Mayo.  Quirke-Wexford

Offline Maedhbh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronoc
St Brendan's Private Nursing Home was a nursing home for unmarried mothers AND also married mothers.

There is no reason to assume that the birth cert you have was for an adopted person.
Hope this answers your question

Offline ronoc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 17:13 BST (UK) »

It certainly does, thank you Maedhbe  :)
Kehoe/Keogh, Lacey/Lacy, Whelan Wexford Town.  Sanfey-Oylegate Wexford,  Murray Co. Monaghan & Glasgow 7 Dublin, Whitmore-Dublin,  Gaines/Gains & Fox -Dublin,  Cleary/Clery-Dublin & Galway,  Wickham-Dublin, Devine-Glasgow, Kane-Dublin,  Barrett-Dublin & Co. Mayo   Docherty/Doherty-Co. Mayo.  Quirke-Wexford

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 19:32 BST (UK) »
Wow. This is fascinating.
I too have a birth cert for someone who was adopted and the mother's residence was recorded as 33 Percy Place! There was me thinking it was her home address.
The baby however was born at Holles Street Hospital.
This was in 1939.
Kind regards,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:38 BST (UK) »
Has anybody had success in finding records for 33 Percy Place?
Or know where they are archived?

Thanks so much,
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Wow. This is fascinating.
I too have a birth cert for someone who was adopted and the mother's residence was recorded as 33 Percy Place! There was me thinking it was her home address.
The baby however was born at Holles Street Hospital.
This was in 1939.
Kind regards,
Glen
Could they write to Holles street for copies of their paediatric medical records?

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 30 May 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure. I've had a Google and it seems that they destroyed their records!!!  :-\
I'll give it a go nonetheless. Thanks.