Author Topic: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption  (Read 36882 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption
« Reply #63 on: Friday 29 September 23 20:58 BST (UK) »
Think you should contact Tusla
https://www.tusla.ie/services/birth-information-and-tracing-and-adoption/information-and-tracing/seeking-your-personal-and-birth-information/faqs/

They should be at least be able to tell you if it’s likely your mother is a victim of an illegal birth registration and if any information on Percy Place survives.

I've tried Tusla multiple times. Unfortunately, nothing from Percy Place was handed over to them. It's worth a go though, because they do have records of St. Patrick's and some babies born at Percy Place had their adoptions arranged through St Patrick's.

It's also worth trying Holles Street Hospital because they hold maternity registers and sometimes Percy Place would send mothers in labour there.

Please feel free to message me privately for more details on my research of Percy Place.

Best wishes, Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Bettybee11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 29 September 23 22:17 BST (UK) »
Glen I can't figure out how to reply to you directly.
The St. Pat's suggestion could make sense as they facilitated uncles adoption in 1953 from Temple Hill.
Holles street is so close so that would be an option to pursue.
I did contact the birth registers office on a recommendation and requested a list of all female births on that date in Dublin, no response to date. 

My Ancestry test will be back soon and hopefully tell us a bit more. My son did one and we have quite a good match to what could be his grandaunt so my mother's sister.

Id like to talk with mam first before contacting TULSA. Whether she will want to pursue or not I don't know. Delicate situation.

Did you get any information or have you done DNA and got anywhere ?

Best wishes
Berty

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 01 October 23 10:40 BST (UK) »
Glen I can't figure out how to reply to you directly.
The St. Pat's suggestion could make sense as they facilitated uncles adoption in 1953 from Temple Hill.
Holles street is so close so that would be an option to pursue.
I did contact the birth registers office on a recommendation and requested a list of all female births on that date in Dublin, no response to date. 

My Ancestry test will be back soon and hopefully tell us a bit more. My son did one and we have quite a good match to what could be his grandaunt so my mother's sister.

Id like to talk with mam first before contacting TULSA. Whether she will want to pursue or not I don't know. Delicate situation.

Did you get any information or have you done DNA and got anywhere ?

Best wishes
Berty

If I remember correctly, you have to post a certain number of times, before you're able to send messages on here.

I believe that the surviving St Pat's records are with Tusla.

The Ancestry DNA will most likely help you know one way or the other.

Did your grandparents have any siblings? If any of their descendants (for example, cousins of your mam) did a DNA kit too, then that would help.

I've been able to help about 35 adoptees/foundlings over recent years, so if you need a hand understanding the DNA results, feel free to ask.

All the best,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 01 October 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks all will have a look at Tulsa and speak with Mum. Im awaiting DNA from ancestry to  see what that brings up.
Have the baptismal cert from St. Mary's Haddington road, 2 days after birth, but obviously that could have been altered on request, so would need to see org baptismal cert. Doesn't make sense that mum wasn't brought back to home parish for baptism.

Just re-reading this. St Mary's Haddington Road and St Andrew's Westland Row were both known to have baptised children from Percy Place.

Nurse Katty Dalton (from Percy Place) thanks Bishop Dunne in 1949, after her other half Edward Dalton's funeral was held at St Mary's Haddington Road.

Glen

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 01 October 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Doesn't make sense that mum wasn't brought back to home parish for baptism.

Depending on how far the home parish was from the hospital it makes perfect sense. They were still a bit obsessed with the idea of limbo for unbaptised babies so pushed mothers to baptise them before going home. When my mother announced in 1955 in Hollis St that she was bringing her baby home (rural area) for baptism she had to sign papers taking responsibility for the decision.
In 1957 she hid with the baby in the toilets.

Great to see the advice Glen is giving you. Good Luck.

Offline Bettybee11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 02 October 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks glen really appreciate the signposting.
If it's ok when I get the results through from Ancestry I'll make contact with you for some help.
Many thanks
Betty