Author Topic: MARSHALL family Ballybay pre 1850  (Read 2680 times)

Offline CanAm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARSHALL family Ballybay pre 1850
« on: Wednesday 14 February 07 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the family of Elizabeth Marshall b. Oct. 1830. Fathers name possibly Andrew.  Sometime before 1850 the family emigrated to Canada. Elizabeth married John Little in Ontario 29 Nov. 1850.  Only information is that she came from Ballybay.
Ireland: Cavan - Little, Gibson, Taylor, May. Leitrim_ Harrison. Monaghan - Marshall.
Canada: all of the above names.

Offline Bert2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MARSHALL family Ballybay pre 1850
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 07 08:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps we should compare notes as I am looking for the family of James Marshall reportedly born in Ballybay in 1821 and settled in Manvers Township county of Durham in Ontario Canada in 1845.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello CanAm and Bert,

Were both your Marshall families the same denomination?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline eames28

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I know my great grandfather was James Marshall and he married margaret near Armagh.  They left Armagh (close to Ballybay) around 1850 to Janetville (10 km from the place you mentioned.  He was a methodist priest.  He had 13 children and th 13th was my granadfather.  I wonder if this matches what you have.
cheers, Eames28