Author Topic: Woods, Carney possibly of Loughglynne  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Ernie Savage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woods, Carney possibly of Loughglynne
« on: Wednesday 14 February 07 08:32 GMT (UK) »
My wife is descended from Betsy(Or Elizabeth) Woods(b1837) who emigrated with her family from Ireland to Bolton in Lancashire, probably just before the 1841 census.
Her father was Patrick, a glazier,(b1806) and her mother was Mary, nee Carney(b1806 Source for maiden name is the birth certificate of Martin, a short lived child born after their arrival in Bolton)
Patrick's father was John, described as farmer (Source - After Mary's death Patrick remarried. His second wife was Honor Flanagan. Their marriage certificate records Patrick's father's name and occupation)
Patrick and Mary had several other children - at least Henry, (b1828), John(b1829) and Patrick(b1834) The last continued the business in Bolton
The English Census enumerators were instructed to record merely "Ireland" under birthplace, where this was appropriate. However, in 1881, Betsy was recorded as having been born in Roscommon (It is not clear whether town or county intended)
The County Heritage Service, based in Strokestown have been MOST helpful - it is from them that I tentatively put the birthplace as Loughglynne. But YOU may have other information!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Woods, Carney possibly of Loughglynne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ernie,

What denomination were the Carney and Woods families ? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline Ernie Savage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woods, Carney possibly of Loughglynne
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher. They were Catholics. The information I about the Irish part outlined above, came from church records held in Co. Roscommon archives; they worked on the basis of information on the English part given to them by me and gleaned from records held in England. I know that other Irish sources are not available for that period.