Author Topic: Ballymena 1914-1918  (Read 9660 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballymena 1914-1918
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 February 07 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Dixie - I have tried to use the site in the past also with same results. When I say my computer freezes I mean it freezes and I can't get out of site, out of Windows, or anything. Will try it sometime with this new computer and see if I have better luck with it.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dixie, Aghadowey and Cell

I know I've visited the Ballymena WW1 site before and it was verygood. However, I just thought I'd take another look but can't access it at all and  get the message that its a "restricted site" that could potentially damage my computer!

I'm wondering if someone has maybe hacked into it and modified it?

Charlotte

GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Just noted you are all experiencing various problems/issues. It would be a shame for folks to be put off using such an invaluable resource, so I have sent an email to Blackadder to let him know of your various concerns about his website. Hopefully he will be able to let folks know what the situation is and offer some reassurance.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte.
Had a go at entering the site when I read your posting, no problem. Personally, I have never had any problems with the site. I think it's a brilliant resource, full of very useful information related to Ballymena and the area. We have been able to pick up soldiers related to my wife's family, whose families had moved to Glasgow in the mid 1800's.
Hi scotmum.
Very good idea.

Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dixie

Glad to hear you had no problem with the site, but just wish I could get on to it( still no luck)but the problem must be with my computer settings(which I can't figure out as haven't changed anything)

I visited the site without any problems a few months back and agree it is very good.  I tried to re-visit to check another name and  couldn't get on to it, then noticed the postings here.

Charlotte

GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Same freeze happening here....

The site below however seems to be ok.

http://www.freewebs.com/denbob/

Regards,

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 February 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Blackadder can't manage to get on to post himself at the moment and has asked me to post the following message on his behalf:

Hi folks – first explanation – the site if temp. frozen at the moment because I did a family history day at Ballymena Academy on Wednesday and exceeded the bandwidth big time.

I am now considering whether to make this an ad-free site (paid for) to get much expanded bandwidth.

As already stated by others – the front screen advert can be ‘skipped’ by looking at the right hand corner and pressing the ‘skip advert’ button.

I can’t answer the questions on freezing/restricted site? May be settings on personal PCs.? I do know that the site was given the all-clear by the IT technos and policy guys at Ballymena Academy before it was ‘ok’d’ for the school internet access. They found nothing untowards – although I do wish they wouldn’t stick those little ‘sexy singles in Ballymena’ adverts at the top!

The site has become extremely popular and bandwidth seems to be the key issue. Hopefully that issue can be solved shortly.

Thanks for all the kind words. I am a little perturbed by the ‘freezing scenario’ – I have never come across that before.

Cheers, Des.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 February 07 20:43 GMT (UK) »
OK - thanks to Scotsmum for services above and beyond ... VC for you!
Anyway ... freewebs are having system probs at moment so I can't get it back on-line until they sort out their end of things.
In the meantime .. this is a subsidiary site to the dedicated Ballymena 1914-1918 site which contains the vast amount of family history detail. However, you may wish to have a look at it. Some good links there and you never know you might find something that's useful ...

http://www.freewebs.com/ballymenaww1/home.htm

knowing my luck, I'll run out of bandwidth on this one too....

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 February 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Des.
Your site is still opening to the web address that Kojak has given in his posting. I've been in and out of it a few time, before starting this posting.
I hope you keep it going, as it's great site.
Regards,
Dixie   
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn