Author Topic: Please can someone improve this old glass plate photo?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Please can someone improve this old glass plate photo?
« on: Wednesday 14 February 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »

I would be very grateful if someone with more expertise than me, would have a go at cleaning up this old glass plate image.
I am also trying to guess when it was taken, but I'll post a new topic for that.

I believe this could be my great great grandparents— Thomas Fennessy and Mary Ann (nee Cleary), based on my evaluation of the similarity to another photo of (almost certainly this time!) Thomas Fennessy in later life. This one was in a mourning brooch with a lock of brown hair. I'm adding it for your comments — do you think I'm right?

Many thanks for your help, Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please can someone improve this old glass plate photo?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 07 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I think it is certainly the same man, the nose and the eyes are the same.
Here is the picture cleaned up, I have a bigger version pm me your email if you want it for printing

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 07 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Here's the second one
Done the first one somewhere else didn't we?
Mudge

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 07 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rian  :)

Lucky you, your glass photo is a rare gem  ;)  careful not to touch the surface, as you can see it scratches easily and any fingerprints will show up too.

I would say this dates to around 1860, give or take a few years.  Probably no later than 1865.  Does that fit with the dates for your g-g-grandparents?

The little photo is almost certainly of the same fellow  :) 

Prue

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your time! Yes Mudge I did a different posting , with a different question, as I know people have different interests when they decide which posts to read.
The pictures look so good, I will frame them now!:D
Yes, I think the man is the same too — I just needed some unbiased opinions, as I really want them to be the same person! The photos were all mixed in a bag, left when my mother died, along with ones from my father's family as well. The brooch had part of a name on it and there is only one person it could be from Cork.
All I need now is for a Fennessy relative to make contact!! I can hope, can't I?! ;)
Many thanks, Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.