Author Topic: Matthew Holland look-up  (Read 1442 times)

Offline elimag800

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Holland look-up
« on: Thursday 15 February 07 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my great great great Grandfather s Baptism but he is not consistant with his birth details (sounds familiar)
1841 census unknown Matthew Holland 1806 with wife Sarah (dodd) lived in Surrey with their children John,Maryann and Sarah.
1851 census birth E Retford,Notts 1808 with Sarah living in Bermondsey have 2 extra children George & William young Sarah died.oh Matthew was a Tanner.
1861 census belford( think this should be Retford) 1806 now living with Sarah & children Maidstone Kent.
1871 born Westminster Middlesex 1803 he is now with Sarah & 2 sons living in Bermondsey.
1881 census born Westminster Middlesex 1804 living in Bermondsey with Wife Sarah & Grandson Arthur.
his death certificate says he died senile decay 1890 st olave southwark aged 86 which puts his birth at 1804 .
I have had a search carried out at the Nottinghamshire records office they have found nothing I have searched East Retford and West Retford and Clarborough records from 1800-1820 and I cannot find Matthew or any Holland s being born in Retford at this time. Westminster records office have had a look for me and so have city of London archives as anyone got any idea s please this is my 4th year trying to find him I know many of my Holland family were born in London & many were born in Retford Notts but I am at a loss where to look next any help would be much appreciated thank you.
Elaine :(
Holland-nottinghamshire/London
Fury-Sligo/Lincolnshire
Felstead/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire
Seymour/Seymore-Warwickshire/France

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Holland look-up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Marriage off IGI
Matthew Holland to Sarah Dodd 13th Nov 1831
Saint Anne Soho Westminster

Have you sent for a copy of the marriage entry maybe the witnesses might be of help if they are Mathews family.

Another Suggestion due to accents names could be misheard by the census enumerator .Looked on Genuki Notts there are 2 other similar sounding place to Retford .Rufford and Radford.Just a thought.

Good Luck
Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline elimag800

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 07 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for answering Welsh Lady
The witnesses were a John & Eliza Holland ( I have the copy) which there seems to be quite a few of in the 1841 census, I looked on the Pallots births & found a Matt which is exactly the same as the marriage info born in Soho St Anne parents John & Eliza I was sure this was the same one until I saw the date which was 1833 he married in 1831 so that ended that idea had it been a few years difference I would have settled for that but 27 was a bit too much.
Elaine
Fury-Sligo/Lincolnshire

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 07 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you got the other Matthew Holland born 1833 Father John in the census to see if there is a connection .Possibly the Father John is a brother or relation of your Matthew Holland.Could be him whos the John Holland witness in the marriage.

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline elimag800

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 07 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Welsh lady
Although the Pallotts births have Matt born Soho St Anne 1833 I cannot find another Matthew born there at all I have checked the 1841/51/61 census and he does not appear to be there this leads me to believe it is my Matthew & that a error was made on the date maybe this should have been 1803 ,I have found a Matthew born in Saxilby lincs whose father was Matthew think I will send the Lincolnshire Holland  s a e-mail just in case he belongs to them and I have already sent a e-mail to a Nottinghamshire Holland family with a Matthew ,who seem to have the same names running through their family although their Matthew s father is called Issac.
have not found any Matthews in the Retford area which is where most of my Holland s were and are.
Elaine
Fury-Sligo/Lincolnshire

Offline Robert Holland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I think we may be related. I believe I'm the great grandson of Arthur Holland - if you look at the 1911 census data he appears to have 7 children by then, the youngest of which is Alfred Holland my grandfather.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Elaine, who started this topic, hasn't been online here since 2011 and has switched off notifications for this topic.

But I will send her a personal message and hope she comes back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea