Author Topic: Copies of Lancashire Census - Advice  (Read 2180 times)

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Copies of Lancashire Census - Advice
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone advise me about purchasing copies of the 19th Century Censuses for Lancashire to view on my computer?  Which are the best or cheapest please?

Patsie

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Copies of Lancashire Census - Advice
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry...don't know, but 1881 Census (including Lancashire) is free to search on and view at www.familysearch.org - I have used it recently.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.  It's more the 1841 and 1851 Censuses I am after.

Patsie

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 18:17 GMT (UK) »
(See also postings on main Lancashire board about 1841 census CDs)

S & N do Lancashire CD's priced around £50 per set (see www.genealogysupplies.com). They don't have name indexes but do have area and street indexes. Some years have name index CD's sold separately, but not sure if they are complete. The images of the ones I've seen appear to be quite good.

I think Stepping Stones (www.stepping-stones.co.uk) do a cheaper 1841 set, but not sure about the overall quality of the images.

If you are interested in Manchester or surrounding area, note that some of the 1851 enumerators books were badly damaged and many entries don't appear on the CD's

You could also try www.ebay.co.uk. There are often full sets, indexes, and single CD's from sets up for auction. (If you are researching a small area you may not need a full set.)

The Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society (www mlfhs.org.uk), do name indexes to some areas and also transcriptions of some of the unfilmed 1851 sections.

Hope this helps.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all those details.  They are a great help.  I have looked at all the sites you mentioned AND the comments here on the main Lancashire Board.  I shall try ebay first but will probably go for the S&N set - you usually get what you pay for.

Many thanks again,

Patsie