Author Topic: Royal Horse Artillery  (Read 17284 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Horse Artillery
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron

I suggest you cut and paste the five heads onto one image and post it on the photography section. A lot of visitors to that section have keen eyes.

Ken

Offline do137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 February 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
The FirePower museum in Woolich London is dedicated to the history of Artillery.
www.firepower.org.uk

They hold a vast archive of records,pictures,photos and much much more on all to do with the Artillery. There are a dedicated team there who are more than willing to help with enquires of Batterys/Brigades units etc and give there expert subject matter opinions.

Give them a phone and if you are wanting to see what it was like to be in the RHA during the period you are researching it is well worth a visit as you can get a feel of life in the Artillery as well as looking up records and tracing family members whilst there.   
Liverpool - Doyle / Smaje
Holland - Smaje

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 27 February 11 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information. I will try to go there one day to see if I can find out some more about the photographs I have.

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I inherited a family photo album and found several photos of men in military uniform that have been identified as Royal Horse Artillery uniforms. I have been trying to identify who these persons may be as there were no names on them.

I think I have identified somebody who may be one of the men in the photos in military uniform - William Munday born 1835 Dartford Kent.

In 1861 census he was a bombadier at Fordington Barracks in Dorset aged 26.  In 1881 I found him living in Camarthan Wales he is a Sgt in Royal Artillery Militia aged 46.  On his marriage certificate in 1874 he says he is a bombadier Royal Artillery Living at Woolwich Barracks. In 1891 he is a town crier - so has retired from the RHA.

Ken mentioned that I could look for details of his Good Conduct Medal where would I look for that ?   I have several photographs in  this posting that could be him I need to identify the likely person against the information I now have from this census information.

Any suggestions for finding out more about his military records?
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline P U

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 March 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Caron
I have just joined rootschat because browsing Royal Horse Artillery uniforms recently, in two of the old photographs you posted sometime previously, the soldier in them looks very much like my Gt Grandfather. I have compared them with other photographs I have of him and are quite certain.
From your own family history research do you have names for the five soldiers yet? P U

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I believe one of the soldiers to be William Munday who was married to my gt gt grandmother Susan Fox nee Mayhew.  he was born in Dartford. 

There might be a possibility that his brother John Munday  is also one of the soldiers in the pictures. I dont have any names on the photographs but by eliminating all the males in my tree, William Munday is the only soldier I have found.

Please let me know if we have the same ancestor.  Regards

Offline P U

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 16:40 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Grandfather was George JUDGE b 1853. He married Mary Ann GOULD from Southwark in 1885.
I am thinking that George was in The Royal Horse Artillery during the 1870s because although I cannot yet confirm this by records, I do have a photo of him in a uniform similar to the photos you
posted. I would be very interested to know if you think as I do that your man and my man are the same person.
I am going to attach my photo of George with this reply. It has occurred to me that the the connection of these photos may come through the GOULD family. Regards

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for attaching the photo. He does look similar to my man but then there would be a link with the same surname.  I am sure a Roots Chatter could give you some advice on the uniform.  I think the military records for my William Munday were found on Find my past website.  I was given advice on the uniform by Paul Evans at Royal Artillery Museum.  He was able to tell me about the stripes and medals and the information tied in with the military records.

I hope you find out more about him.  Regards

Offline P U

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 March 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron
This is a very interesting and intriguing puzzle. I can see that we agree to differ about these photographs.
Can I make a suggestion? I have read all through the messages and replies concerning
The Royal Horse Artillery and your inquiries about about your un-named photographs. As I have a second photograph of my George JUDGE in the 1880s, why don't we as Km1971 suggested previously (reply27) cut and paste the faces of your two photographs (that I think are George JUDGE) and my two that I know are George JUDGE and send them onto the Photographic Section. The answer might just turn out to be an interesting and exciting family history challenge to us both!

Regards Eric