Author Topic: LITTLE abt 1820 to 1840  (Read 3117 times)

Offline CanAm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LITTLE abt 1820 to 1840
« on: Thursday 15 February 07 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Little family consisting of unknown father and mother emigrated Scotland to Ireland 1822. Were almost certainly preceded by other family members. Simon and Gilbert. The 1822 migration included youngest child, James*  . Other siblings of James were Simon and Gilbert (above), Nellie(m. John Taylor) and Nancy m. Watty Fairbairn).
Simon married 1st Ann (May?) and had these children: James, Ann, Simon, John and Gilbert. Simon  married 2nd Elizabeth Taylor and had:William, Mary, Martha and Ann Jane.
The only other info I have while the family was in Ireland is that James* married Mary Gibson (in 1838) who's family lived(owned?) a farm 2 miles from Canniston (apparently members of the Gibson family continued on the farm until at least 1937).
Most of the family eventually innigrated to Canada in various groups.
I have a bit more info.
I am primarily Interested in Unknown Little and wife, Simon and John, but anything about this family would be appreciated.
Ireland: Cavan - Little, Gibson, Taylor, May. Leitrim_ Harrison. Monaghan - Marshall.
Canada: all of the above names.

Offline Marshall hunter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: LITTLE abt 1820 to 1840
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 10 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I have a Great G Grandfather James Marshall who married Margaret J. Little Born 1833 of Clarke Township Province of Ontario Canada on Oct 2 1852. Her father is said to be Simon Little. I have not been able to get any further on the Little Track.

Any similarities?
My email is not working sorry
searching for the Irish family of James Marshall born 1821 Balybay, County Monaghan. Came to Canadda 1840's married Margaret Little born 1833

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm making some assumptions here but the fact they came from Scotland were they Presbyterian? You also mention the Gibson family lived two miles from Canniston, could that be Canningstown as located between Bailieborough and Cootehill? Most Church records only commence 1845 so your dates are a bit early to be included.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 10 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I think, in the absence of Irish records back in the early 1800s, you would have far better luck trying to trace the unknown father & mother in the Scottish records where church registers go way back. Have you tried tracing the childrens' births on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 10 16:22 GMT (UK) »
"The 1822 migration included youngest child, James*  . Other siblings of James were Simon and Gilbert (above), Nellie(m. John Taylor) and Nancy m. Watty Fairbairn)."

Would their marriage or death certs not give the parent's names?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.