Author Topic: wedding picture  (Read 1344 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wedding picture
« on: Thursday 15 February 07 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
after all your help yesterday wit my beautiful lady in her posh frock, what can you tell me, date wise, about this amazing wedding oic please?
it comes from a 2nd or 3rd cousin who thought it was our link, but I'm not sure. I do love the outfit of the gentleman with the white hair and beard with his chintz trews!
now to see if I've shrunk the pic enough to get it on!
here goes
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
Re: wedding picture
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Revmother

What a lovely pic  ;D .  I can't help with dates, but if you have a larger pic it might look really good coloured?  That's if you want us to try, you might just prefer it B&W and that's fine too  ;)  I wish I had some of these beautiful pics  :(

Cheers

Lones
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 07 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lones
I'm happy with it b and w, it's a date to help place whose wedding it might be that really interests me on this one.
sadly I don't have the original of this one - it came as an email attachment to me, but I do have it set as background on my pc - even though I don't actually know who they are.

i think I've had enough of today - and parish work of a rather less then pleasant nature calls  :( for me to be bright and tidy and organised tomorrow
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 07 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Fair enough Revmother   ;D

Good luck with finding out who they are,  very handsome lot of folk  :) :)

Cheers Lones
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Wonderful photo, in lovely condition
Just sharpened and lightened a bit, after cropping.  Also attached a sepia version
Mudge

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 07 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Revmother,

I must agree and say that this is a wonderful study of a wedding group. The family, I would say was part of the community and played, in their own way, an important part in it.  Within the group there are 13 males and 21 females and for the most part (if not all) I will have to discount the males for dating purposes as other than the groom I can not make head way with getting a firm date line from them.The groom has a frock coat on with the skirts reaching down to knee level. In 1890 the four buttoned frock coat was altered to only have three buttons so there is a start date there. However I believe that this is at least eight years (if not more)  older than that date. Although the lapels are short on the grooms frock coat it indicates that this wedding took place in or around 1897 or 1898. In 1897 the lapels on frock coats became more straighter in cut and lay and were more pointed. Also pushing me in that direction is that amongst the women there is only one that is wearing a dress that has puffed upper sleeves as a leg of mutton sleeve would be. This fashion icon disappeared as if overnight in 1897 and was replaced by a much tighter sleeving as shown by some of the woman. Interestingly there are at least three different styles of sleeving to be seen. The bishop sleeve worn by the woman sitting extreme left, the leg of mutton worn by the woman sitting third from left, and the bell sleeve worn by the woman extreme right standing. From 1897 and to the end of that decade sleeves on blouses became either tighter from shoulder to wrist or tight with a slight puff or epaulette at the shoulders which can all be seen in one form or another here. The hair of all the woman (not the younger females) is shown as being dressed in the pompadour style with exposed ears and the hair set over pads above the ear this style was popular in the late 1890's onwards towards 1910.  All 21 females are wearing headwear of some description. 19 of them are wearing wide brimmed hats decorated in a mixure of feathers, flowers, ribbon and silk, whilst two have short brimmed hats decorated in feathers and flowers. The old lady, sitting third from the right, is in fact wearing a bonnet and not a hat which again is decorated with feathers and flowers. Two of the men (sitting) have silk top hats and I would have expected to find that all but one of the men would have worn a topper as it was de rigueur with wearing the frock coat.

Finally just some other points, the two younger girls sitting together at the front would, I  suspect, have been the bridesmaids whilst the two standing behind them would have been maids of honour. The old lady wearing the bonnet has her left hand resting on a parasol whilst the gent with the white beard sixth from the right, sitting, has a walking cane resting against his leg and the gent, sitting second from right, has an umbrella. This wedding party must have made a colourful grouping and one can only imagine the different colours that may have been worn. Hope that something amongst all the above helps you in someway.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 07 21:57 GMT (UK) »
hi OR
thank you for those descriptions, I've forwarded your reply to the rellie who has the original, see if she can work out whose wedding it is.
thanks again everyone
revmother.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 07 02:01 GMT (UK) »
OR, I think you should have your own TV programme, in the style of CSI or Law & Order or maybe even Columbo. Putting all the tiniest clues together as you work toward the stunning conclusion of this week's fashion mystery...I'd be glued to my set for certain :D

Cheers,
C
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 07 02:26 GMT (UK) »
aw shucks you'll have me blushing again......but thank you

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop