Author Topic: Arranroots resizing post  (Read 2813 times)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Arranroots resizing post
« on: Friday 16 February 07 10:13 GMT (UK) »
As the topic about resizing is locked for replies, I thought I'd post a new topic

If a picture is too small, then no amount of repair will produce anything that could be considered decent.

I for one much prefer that the pictures are massive on screen as these have a lot more info and detail to work on. If all the images are now going to be little more than thumbnails, maybe its time that the site became just a gallery for damaged photos.

It now looks like, if all we are allowed to post is tiny 600x400 images, then its time for me to move onto other areas since repairing tiny pictures is not really something I like to do.

Its been fun. I'll pop in from time to time to see if the situation changes

Bye for now

Glen

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Arranroots resizing post
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 07 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Glen,

Dead right mate - every point.

If anyone wants repairs, they want a fair result. I use a 19" monitor so scrolling is not such a problem.

When the images are cropped down in future I'll just email the sender for an attachment and post back direct.

George
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 07 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Ok - I will confess that in my attempt to make things good for everyone I might have misunderstood the requirements of the Photo Restoration board.

I have had a variety of reactions to my posting, ranging from the supportive, to (surprisingly for Rootschat) the rather rude.

I apologise if my posting has upset the restorers, please leave it with me & I am attempting to construct a compromise solution.

I disagree with some of your points - thumbnail is hardly accurate, but we need to consider the needs of all users without making things unnecessarily difficult.

Thanks for you forbearance.

Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 07 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I have decided to remove my original posting.

I hope that photos posted on boards other than Photo Restoration will be of a reasonable size to save the sanity of the Moderators tasked with resizing.

As stated before, I am a big fan of the Photo REstoration board and use it to promote Rc at every opportunity.

I would ask only that the board is used in a fashion that minimises inconvenience to all users of Rootschat - not all of us are blessed with large screens and broadband!

Many thanks

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Arranroots,

I don't have a large screen or broadband but any restriction on the size of posted pictures on this board would not have allowed us to produce a "resaonable" result for anyone wanting a picture restored.

Appreciate your change of heart

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 07 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Di

Democracy at work, lol!

;)

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 07 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Have I missed something  ??? ??? ???
When / where was this "resizing" thingee proposed  ??? ???

Mudge

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I haven't noticed the notice either.   :-\

I totally agree with kizmiaz , you need the size and quality to do anything reasonable with a pic , even for a relative beginner like me (no pun intended).
They don't have to be 30 Mb bitmaps , but still something sizeable.

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 February 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I just hope what ever happens you guys and Lady's are able to keep up the great work that you do for us all. would hate to lose this part of rootschat.  Your work to my photos has brought delight to many of my family and friends  all around the world. Lets hope it all can be worked out for every one on here.

migky