Author Topic: Arranroots resizing post  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
Re: Arranroots resizing post
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 February 07 10:32 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like a good idea Gadget , everyone needs to learn . It's a continuing process. I for one would like to learn more on colouring , especially flesh (sorry , I mean skin tones) . I use PSP 7 , so I have to translate any Photoshop tutorials.

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 February 07 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I think this a very worthwhile subject for discussion and the idea,s engendered top notch(monitor,s, weed er,s out,or whatever)

Anything to advance the use of,ease,and increase the enjoyment of finished restoration request,s is to be commended.
                Goggy. :-[ :-[ ;) ;D

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 February 07 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
As well as normal restorations, as you know I have experimented on a few postings, particularly wrt the selection of backgrounds and using of filters to change them significantly.  Much to my surprise, quite a few of these have been liked by the posters, as well as other restorers, and several of the latter have PM'ed me to enquire how I did it.  So my view is that there's no reason why different things can't be tried and posted, as it may be of interest to all, (or in some cases nobody !), as long as the changes are respectful within the context of the original posting.  Am I making sense, or just rambling (don't answer that)?
Anyway, as I'm sure we all agree, to get the best results the bigger / higher resolution images are essential as a starting point.
For large restored files, the final results can then be saved for a while on your own computer, but resized before posting back to RootsChat so that the whole image appears on the screen, so there's no need for scrolling.
For inexperienced restorers (if there are any!), I do this (using Adobe Photoshop Elements) as follows:
> Image > Resize > Image Size > Change either the height or width pixel dimension, whichever is the largest, to about 700 (this may vary depending upon the resolution, but I'm not going into that here!)
If the originator wants a large better quality copy of any particular restoration he / she can PM the restorer concerned to request an E-mailed copy of the larger file for printing. Good, but lower quality, images of the other posted images can be printed direct from RootsChat, as and when required
All that without a "smily"  Must be a record for me!
That's what I think anyway!!!!  ;) Sorry couldn't resist
Mudge

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 February 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Okay! let's look at the whole problem another way. If the restorers (us/we) don't have a problem with large images and scrolling, then who does. Is it a problem with Bandwidth? - I don't think so, after all we are limited to 500: So if the preceeding sentence is correct, then it's just the fact that someone is simply irked by the fact of having to scroll. Without shouting our own self importance, I would like to think that us restorers were the people who should say what is expected/required on the thread - after all we can't do quality work without the material to start with.

In short if we are happy with scrolling why  are we arguing.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 February 07 12:23 GMT (UK) »
At the risk of being shot down in flames here, can I call time-out on this discussion?

The Photo Restoration board grew from very small beginnings on a Family History message forum.  It is only a small part of RootsChat.  The moderators take an interest in many subjects, some of them in particular areas of expertise.  But if we have problems reported to us or if we ourselves find problems, we try our best to overcome them.

This debate arose after a plea was made to try to keep photos from falling off the edge of the screen - something with which I can empathise.  However, what has generally been acceptable before is no less acceptable now.  The odd "mistake" in size happens - and we learn from it. 

So let's say the debate is closed at the moment and go back to what everyone was doing before.

Thanks.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk