Author Topic: Arranroots resizing post  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arranroots resizing post
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 February 07 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I have a 21 ins monitor and (usually) broadband but I still get widies and hate them for general viewing, particularly when they are combined with high-ies. However,  for photo restoration  it is best to have large images, with no compression and with as high a resolution as possible. Resolution (dpi) is as important (if not more important) than dimesions (see Cazza's tutorial).

So there is a need to balance both requirements - restoration and ease of viewing afterwards. Would it be possible for photo threads to be checked,  say once a  month. If the restoration is complete and the results have been downloaded then the images (now for viewing only really) could then be resized for web viewing. Maybe we could have 'photo monitors' or something so that Mods wouldn't have to do extra work.

Just some thoughts.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 February 07 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for photo threads to be checked, say once a month. If the restoration is complete and the results have been downloaded then the images (now for viewing only really) could then be resized for web viewing. Maybe we could have 'photo monitors' or something so that Mods wouldn't have to do extra work.

What a very good idea.  :) 

When look-ups are completed, the originators say that they are completed, and they are then moved to the completed board.  I'm not suggesting that we have a "completed" photo board necessarily, but when the requester has had a photo restored, and they have downloaded it, they ought to say on the thread that they've secured their copy of the new version (along with their grateful thanks, of course).

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 February 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
For viewing purposes it would be easier to have a small screen sized image posted along with the full sized original. another advantage of this is that when the job is completed, instead of someone having to take the time to resize the original, all they need to do is delete the full size image - leaving the screen sized one.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 February 07 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Agree  Denn ...Good idea .. I have been posting smaller size restores for a while now and emailing people the larger versions required to get a print from ... ... Yes we must have the images as large as possible with no compression and a high res ,as gadget says, in order to do a decent restore ... and it makes sense to me to remove the large original leaving  one no more than say 600 pixels wide  once the restores are done and the person who started the thread can notate that it is completed!
 Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 February 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you all, it is much easier to colour a picture when it is large, for the fine detail. 

I just have one concern, which may be nothing, but will it make it hard for people posting for restorations?  What I mean is, can they keep a thread as unfinished without offending people who have restored their pic, if perhaps they are hoping for a better one?  I am not wording this properly, I just feel if they may feel obliged to close a thread if they have had a few replies, when they may not be really happy with the results (we all have different tastes) but they may not want to offend anyone.

Would it be possible to keep the large one there for a specific time (1 month??) and all restorers and colourers just post small ones and use PM's?

I hope you understand what I am trying to say, I just don't want people to settle for one of my colourings if they don't like it but feel the post has been there too long for them to keep it open, as I may be offended because they said they really liked it. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I know, I confused myself too

Lones
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 February 07 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I suggested 1 month for precisely that reason, Lones. Having looked at various threads I thought that that was a fairly reasonable timetable.

It would work very much like the 'completed' look up threads but not separated out, just smaller viewable images.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 February 07 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Sorry, I didn't realise, I should have read the thread better. :-[ 

I agree a month is probably a reasonable time.  Not many restorers go back a month to find a picture to play with.  I hope we can find a solution, I really like colouring, and i think I'm even getting better at restorations, which I need large pics to practice on, lots of them. ;D ;D

Lones

Smith, Warwick Shire
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 February 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I think you do a great job, Lones  :)

Another idea - while I'm into them-  is a thread just for practising. Something like  we inadvertently started the other day. I know that we mostly get our experience by doing requests but maybe just a few that it wouldn't matter if we made mistakes, etc. and we could have comments even. What do you think?

Gadget

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 February 07 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Comments?  Do you mean like feedback from other restorers, I think that is a great idea, they could tell us where we go wrong, without seeming to be interferring.  I know I sometimes get feedback and the restorer is appologetic, in case I get offended, but I don't, I appreciate them setting me straight, how else can I learn and not keep repeating mistakes?  If they set one up, I for one would use it?

And thanks Gadget, for the moral boost  ;D

Cheers Lones

Smith, Warwick Shire
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Dick, Fife