Author Topic: Gatens (Gettins, Gittens) from Donegal  (Read 7114 times)

Offline gemcy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gatens (Gettins, Gittens) from Donegal
« on: Friday 16 February 07 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me please.  I am searching the ancestor name Gatens.  Info I have so far is John Gatens born Donegal approx 1813 (according to Scottish Census 1871) His father was Patrick Gatens, farmer and Mother was Nancy (surname obscured looks like Galayner?) this latter information from John's death certificate. John Gatens married Mary Borland who was from Antrim I believe.

I'm aware that Gatens has a varied spelling particularly in 1800's.  (Gittens, Gettins etc.,) Keeping my fingers crossed and thank you - Glenda  :)
Derbyshire, Leicestershire,Warwickshire,Yorks,Essex, Suffolk, Northamptonshire, Scotland, North East England, Lancashire, Ireland Donegal/Antrim

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Gatens (Gettins, Gittens) from Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya Glenda,

There are two guys named Gettins on the 1796 Co. Donegal Flax Growers List. 

John Gettins, Kilbarron
Patrick Gettins, Kilbarron.

The List is on John Hayes failteromhat.com website.

Christopher

Offline gemcy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 07 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

Thank you very much for the information and the reply, very much appreciated.   Difficult tracing anything further back from a possible birth in 1813 (and that's full of ?? :-\) when you have very little information and you live in Belgium!

Gettins, however you spell it, doesn't appear to be such a common name so I think the Patrick Gettins, Flax Grower from Donegal surely must be the relative to my John Gatens.

Shall check out the failteromhat website later today.

Again, thank you!  :)

Glenda

Derbyshire, Leicestershire,Warwickshire,Yorks,Essex, Suffolk, Northamptonshire, Scotland, North East England, Lancashire, Ireland Donegal/Antrim

Offline gerrymg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 08 16:19 GMT (UK) »
NEW TO THIS SITE ,AND AFTER SEEING THE NAME GATENS I THOUGHT I WOULD GET IN CONTACT.
I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING MY FAMILY AND HAVE GOT AS FAR BACK AS A WILLIAM GATENS(GATTINS),BORN COUNTY DONEGAL ABT 1847.HE MARRIED A MARY MCLUSKEY ALSO FROM IRELAND.WILLIAMS FATHER WAS ALSO CALLED WILLIAM AND HIS MOTHER WAS MARY BURNS.
I SEEM TO HAVE COME TO A POINT WERE I WILL NEED TO DIG REALLY DEEP INTO LOCAL RECORD AROUND DONEGAL.
I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN SEARCHING AROUND HAS ANY INFO ON THIS PART OF THE GATENS FAMILY

Offline gemcy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 08 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello gerrymg,

I don't think I will be of much help to you I'm afraid.  What I have so far ....

My Gatens, who now live in the North East,  I've managed to trace back to the Scottish Census 1851 Port Glasgow, with further information coming from Birth, Marriage and Death certificates on the Scottish RO, which gave me a Patrick Gatens c1783 and his wife Nancy, unfortunately her name is unreadable, looks like Galyner, this from a death certificate! 

I think the info Christopher gave me re Flax Growers List, looks fairly likely to be the Patrick Gatens I've been looking for but there is no way of knowing.  Perhaps one day I will get to Ireland to check the Parish records myself

Sorry I can't be of more help  :(

Glenda

Offline gerrymg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 10:29 GMT (UK) »
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. MY GRAND FATHER WAS BORN IN JARROW , NORTH EAST OF ENGLAND, IN 1915 AFTER HIS FATHER AND MOTHER MOVED AWAY FROM THE GORBALS IN GLASGOW.HIS NAME WAS JEREMIAH AS WAS HIS FATHER.
ANYWAY THANKS AGAIN,THIS GATENS NAME CAN BE SO FRUSTRATING. 
ALL THE BEST IN YOUR SEARCH

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 August 08 00:19 BST (UK) »
McGettigan is a variation of Gettins used in Donegal - often both spellings were used in one family.

Offline janinemdavis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 07:03 BST (UK) »
I'm decended from a Patrick Gatens b. about 1797 Ireland.  He came to St. John New Brunswick with his wife Sarah (McDade) Gatens in about 1846 or 1847.  Please see my website at:  www.reocities.com/brygano

Offline gatons

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 16 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I have found mention of a John Gatens (born circa 1818) who sailed in 1834 from Londonderry to Philadelphia in a party of 5:

5 people traveling together with 11 barrels and 3 boxes
69  John Smith            17   Farmer
70  John Kearney          23   Labourer
71  Robert Kearney        18   Labourer
72  John Gatens           16   Labourer
73  Patt McGinley         20   Labourer

Sources:
http://immigrantships.net/1800/phoenix18340513.html
http://www.myheritageimages.com/records/usa_immigration/M425_Philadelphia_PL_1800_1882/004719601/004719601_00150.jpg