Author Topic: meritorious service  (Read 1069 times)

Offline battery rocks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
meritorious service
« on: Friday 16 February 07 19:21 GMT (UK) »
please can any RAF bods out there tell me if under the heading MEDALS HONOURS and AWARDS onthere RAF records saying and i quote [awarded commandation by c and c for meritorious service MEAF -329320- P.I 12 8 57 ]   could it be a medal a mention in dispatches or a pat on the back ? ???
                dso penzance ;D
I am sorry but my emails are not working.

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: meritorious service
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sounds like just a pat on the back. Someone on the website below may be able to help you more:

www.rafcommands.com

Try the general questions board. Would be better if you can register on the site whcih has been very prone to a huge amount of spam just lately which may or may not have led to the website going down and nearly all of the post beinglost. Ross who runs the site has done a huge amount of work to recover the lost posts going back years, but some of the researchers that use that board are now less inclined to open 'guest' posts.

Regards,

Ann 

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
Re: meritorious service
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 07 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Battery Rocks,
It sounds like a commendation which would be similar to a certificate recognising meritous service - good work over and above that expected.

I would suggest that it was awarded by the C in C - the Commander in Chief MEAF (Middle East Air Force).  C in C MEAF would be the big cheese of all Air Force personnel in theatre at that time.  At the time your relative was in the Middle East and was awarded the commendation, the C in C was Air Chief Marshal Sir Hubert Patch.

If you can get the service records of that individual, you may well find a copy of the commendation in the personal file.

Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool