Author Topic: Marriage - John Williamson c1765  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - John Williamson c1765
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Forfarian

It's not strictly true you don't get parents details on any of the OPRs tho I agree that if you do find it you are very lucky. I have some for my family who are from Paisley where the parents names are there but even this varies within different parishes in Paisley. Most don't is true to say and the fact they all had different ways of recording the info doesn't help but it is always worth a try as you never know.

I wasn't expecting much when I looked and was pleasantly surprised to find them.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
It's not strictly true you don't get parents details on any of the OPRs

No, but it's the most useful generalisation  ;)

I have never actually seen an OPR marriage record where the full names of all four parents were recorded, but then I haven't yet had occasion to look up any OPR marriages in Paisley.

I reckon I'd rather make the generalisation, then anyone who gets one of the few with this information can gloat over being so lucky (or even over proving me wrong), than raise hopes which are mostly going to be disappointed.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 18:16 BST (UK) »
Forfarian

Sorry was not question of gloating or trying to prove you wrong. As you will see I agreed the majority don't have the info and indeed I almost didn;t bother looking for same reason but was pleasantly surprised to find what I did.

The point I was making is that it is always worth having a look but on the basis you start off from i point which we are both agreed on that you shouldn;t have high expectations

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 18:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry was not question of gloating or trying to prove you wrong.
I didn't actually think you were - apologies if it sounded like that. It's difficult to type with one's tongue in one's cheek   ;)

we are both agreed on that you shouldn't have high expectations
Indeed we are.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.