Author Topic: Dolphinholme in 1841? Which parish?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
Dolphinholme in 1841? Which parish?
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I live in the village of Dolphinholme, which is presently in the parish of Ellel, Lancashire.  I would like to look at the census returns for the area - have ancestry subscription - but can't find the parish of Ellel listed when I try to browse the 1841 census.  Can anyone advise where it might be hiding please???
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphinholme in 1841? Which parish?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 07 20:49 GMT (UK) »
District 7 in  Cockerham includes Dolphinholme.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 07 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that - I wondered if that might be the case, but wasn't sure where to start to find out.  Isn't it odd - Cockerham is even smaller than Dolphinholme now (and Dolphinholme is small enough!) - but it must have been of much more importance then!
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 07 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be of help, KBC.

To find descriptions of enumeration districts on Ancestry,  after you have clicked on a particular census year from the home page, go down to the bottom of the census search form page.  There is a list of counties.
Click on the county you want, and a list of civil parishes comes up.  A bit of trial and error after that will usually get you where you want to be.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk