Author Topic: Registration of Death abroad.  (Read 916 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Registration of Death abroad.
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a death certificate for a relative who was in the Army and was killed on the North West Frontier of India in 1897.  He was listed as a private with a Regimental number and the death was recorded in the Orderly Room of the 16th Lancers at Umballa, India.  I do not know what regiment he was in so would the fact that his death was recorded at the 16th Lancers' Orderly Room necessarily mean that he was with that regiment?  Could it just have been the nearest place to take the body? If so, why was his regiment not recorded (if it was different).

I have another earlier death certificate for a relative, who died in Egypt in 1882 and who I knew was in the Royal Horse Artillery.  His death was recorded by the Captain of the RHA Commanding G Battery, B Brigade, RHA.  Was there always a post for each regiment in a particular area overseas where this kind of thing would have to be registered?

Any help would be appreciated.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of Death abroad.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi honeybun, good to see you again!

You have done a lot of work to obtain their death certs! Sadly they often tell us little about the actual person.

As you know who they were perhaps your next step would be toward the National Archives for their records?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of Death abroad.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendi

I've not done a lot of family history lately so haven't been on RootsChat much.  I remember we were in touch before.

I'm just trying to get a bit more on this particular person who died in India as the only info I have on him are his birth and death dates.  He apparently joined the Army very young and "never came home again".  As he was just a lowly soldier I guess I would not find much on him at Kew (unless I was lucky) which would be my next line of enquiry.  I've been there once and it's quite complicated so I will have to file this one away for the time being until I have a chance to go again.

I got the death certs information from the forces overseas death registers on 1837 (now findmypast) and applied for them in the usual way for the usual cost.  Easier than I thought!

Thanks anyway.

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire