Author Topic: Looking for Giles Sumpter  (Read 730 times)

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for Giles Sumpter
« on: Sunday 18 February 07 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to trace what happened to a Giles Sumpter who was born in the 1610's or 1620's most likely in Collumpton in Devon. He's referred to in the wills of his father William Sumpter (1642), mother Elizabeth Sumpter (1660) and brother Thomas Sumpter (1645) as being a merchant of London. I've found several references to him in the UK National Archives site as being involved in the sale of lands belonging to Charles I during the Commonwealth Period. The last references I have of Giles is in 1678 when he was the bondsman for his nephew's marriage license application and was involved in a business deal concerning coal mines in Polesworth, Warwickshire. The nephew was my direct ancestor.

I imagine Giles would have been quite a wealthy man, but so far I can't find any record of him leaving a will. I also don't know when or where he died, or if he married.

Any help with finding more information about Giles Sumpter would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly