Author Topic: Date And Restore Please  (Read 3305 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date And Restore Please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 February 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Raa

Lones is absolutely correct, it is not the physical size of the posting that matters, it's the resolution size (ie dpi = dots per inch) that you scan the picture at.  Your original posting was only scanned at 96 dpi...for a really good restoration you need to scan it at a minimum of 300 dpi, but ideally 600 dpi is best.  This might sound like mumbo jumbo but if you read the scanning tut you will understand. In a nutshell, the higher the rating (dpi) you scan a picture at, the better the quality scan and conseqently the better the restore (with no disrespect intended to those that have already given up their time and worked on this pic).

So to answer your question, it would be best if you re scanned and re posted your pic.

Cheers
Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 February 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice. is this any better?

Raa

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 February 07 12:29 GMT (UK) »
No, sorry.  Still only 96 dpi..you need to rescan and set your scanner software so it scans at 600 dpi.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 February 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I Dont know where the odd eight came from my daughter posted it lol

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 February 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Raa

I know it may sound like we are being picky, but the difference in the end result really is worth it.  When we restore a pic, we have to zoom in close to get a reapir that is not noticable.  When we zoom in on a small scan the picture pixulates so badly you cannot even tell what you are zooming in on.  I am attempting to attach two pictures of eyes ( I hope it works  :-\).  You can see how pixulated one is, and the other is still recognisable and can be worked on and repaired if necessary quite easily.  The picture you have posted is even smaller than the pixulated eye in my example.  So it is not possible to get a good repair on the photo.  Have I made that simpler or just confused you further? :-\ :-\ :-\

Cheers

Lones

Sorry, had to modify my typing errors  :-[
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 February 07 15:17 GMT (UK) »
hi no your not being picky i am interested just not very good posting photos which is a shame i love old black and white photos my front room is full of them will try again tomorrow thanks for all your advice raa :)