Author Topic: I would like to hear from you if you have anything on the following names...  (Read 50178 times)

Offline missnjb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to hear from you if you have anything on the following names...
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I have Perry, Uren and Goldsworthy is a main line.

My grandmother is a Perry
Her father was Sidney Perry born 1882 His father John Henry Perry born 1842
Ring any bells for you

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to hear from you if you have anything on the following names...
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 28 March 19 07:54 GMT (UK) »
My computer recently crashed but I managed to save some information.

I have John Perry GOLDSWORTHY
b. 16 Ju 1848, Helston Cornwall
son of:
Richard Goldsworthy and Mary Perry.

I did have more info on Mary but have lost it.
All I know is that she was b. about 1812.

Her husband, Richard was b. 3 Sep 1809 in Cornwall.
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
FRIEZER / FRIESER in England, Indonesia and Netherlands
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset
JAMIESON / RENNIE or RANIE / EDMONDSON / CAMERON in Scotland
DOWNING / McKEOWN / MILLS / HANES and WYLIE in Ireland
McKEOWN in NY and Boston / RAPSEY in New Zealand
and many many more.  These are just the main ones

Offline missnjb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 07:07 BST (UK) »
Also i'm a Blackler

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 13 May 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
I have the following Bowdens:

Ambrose B, m Margarett

Son Ambrose B, bapt. 1674, Lanlivery, m. Elizabeth Beney 5 Jan. 1702 Tywardreath

Son Ambrose B, m. Beatrice Tallack 30 Nov. 1747 Golant

Son Ambrose B, bapt. 3 Nov 1750 Tywardreath
m1 Joan Booth, one son, John
m2 Elizabeth Booth, eight sons, five daughters

including William B, b. 1 Nov. 1794, m. Elizabeth Browning 17 June 1820 Alverstoke, Hampshire, two sons, two daughters

including William B, b. 16 April 1826 Alverstoke. Changed name to Cornish-Bowden (my great-grandfather)

I have more information on the unnamed sons and daughters.

Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 13 May 19 11:57 BST (UK) »

As for the Bowdens, there is another spelling: BOULDEN. And there is a long illustrious line of those in the St Keverne area, dating back to the 1590s

regards
Gaz

The Bouldens are indeed an illustrious family, but I'd be surprised if they are connected with the Bowdens of Devon and Cornwall. There are at least two unrelated families called Bowden: not only in Devon and Cornwall but also around Manchester. The latter pronounce "Bow-" to rhyme with "low", but the former to rhyme with "how". "The first Bouldens apparently came from Cheshire, and Bowdens are thin on the ground between Cheshire and Devon.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 13 May 19 12:29 BST (UK) »
athel_cb  I don't have any of those BOWDEN's sorry.
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
FRIEZER / FRIESER in England, Indonesia and Netherlands
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset
JAMIESON / RENNIE or RANIE / EDMONDSON / CAMERON in Scotland
DOWNING / McKEOWN / MILLS / HANES and WYLIE in Ireland
McKEOWN in NY and Boston / RAPSEY in New Zealand
and many many more.  These are just the main ones

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 13 May 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Newey...

But not Cornwall.  Leicestershire.

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 26 May 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
The Bouldens are indeed an illustrious family, but I'd be surprised if they are connected with the Bowdens of Devon and Cornwall. There are at least two unrelated families called Bowden: not only in Devon and Cornwall but also around Manchester. The latter pronounce "Bow-" to rhyme with "low", but the former to rhyme with "how". "The first Bouldens apparently came from Cheshire, and Bowdens are thin on the ground between Cheshire and Devon.

I had a query about this post the other day, to which I replied, but I'm not sure my reply went, as I havent well figured out how the personal messages work. As there was nothing private about my reply, I'll post it here.

I don't know much about the Cheshire Bowdens, though I've lived in Cheshire within walking distance of the village of Bowdon. We learned that the Cheshire Bowdens exist from the fact that my sister had a job in Manchester, at which her boss was a Mr Bowden, with the Bow- rhyming with "low", not with "how", as it usually does in the southwest.