Author Topic: ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup  (Read 36372 times)

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup
« on: Sunday 18 February 07 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

I have recently started researching the Armstrong family from Enniskillen and Lisnaskea of Co. Fermanagh with some difficulty. I am looking for information on the descendants of Thomas Armstrong (b. 1800 Clogher) who married Isabella Blakeley (date unknown) and who also married Janet Ford.

The first union producing William Armstrong (migrated to Victoria, Australia), Margaret Jane Armstrong (my ancestor, migrated to NSW, Australia), Edward Armstrong, Elizabeth Armstrong and James Armstrong (married Martha Thompson). The second union producing Mary Armstrong (migrated to Queensland, Australia).

William Armstrong married Elizabeth Mosgrove, Margaret Jane Armstrong married Donald Fraser. Elizabeth Armstrong married an Unknown McBrien producing William McBrien and Georgina McBrien. William married a Rebecca Unknown and produced Georgina McBrien. Georgina McBrien Senior never married and travelled and lived in America.

James and Martha Armstrong produced Robert, Martha, Sarah, Elizabeth and 5 other children in the Lisnaskea area. Elizabeth and Sarah travelled to America and married William Estle and James Washing Jevens respectively.

Any help as to other ancestors and dates and places would be very very welcome.

Kelly
Woodhurst (ENG - Aust), Robins (Corn - Aust), Everett (Dorset - Aust), Younger (Lanark - Aust), Shadbolt (Hert - Aust), Ashton (Som - Aust), Coward (Wilt - Aust), Tanswell (Leic - Aust), Lane (Dor - Aust), James (Pemb - Aust), Aylward/Elward (Glam - Aust), Done (Ches & Shrop - Aust), Pearce (London - Sydney), Fraser (Argyll - Aust), Smith (Moray - Aust), Ross (London - Aust)

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG - FERMANAGH LOOKUP
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly
    I also have ARMSTRONGS in Fermanagh.....mostly born on/near Inishmore Island. I have some marraige/birth/death records that someone IN Ireland sent me. If you tell me who exactly was in Ireland and possible years Ill try to look and see if they are listed.
  I do have a Thomas ARMSTRONG who married Isabella  LENDRUM (I think it says) in 9/12/1824 but that isnt yours. There is also a GREAT Fermanagh site with tons of "donated information" ( you click on that at top right). The site is..... http://www.rootsweb.com/~nirfer2/Links.htm ...if it gets deleted then email me at: (*). Just remember to put ARMSTRONGS in subject.

Sue

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG - Fermanagh lookup
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

We don't have too many dates. I have Thomas Armstrong Senior born circa 1800 in Clogher. I believe that Janet Ford was also born in the same place and about the same time period.

Thomas & Isabella married about 1825 we believe.

William Armstrong
Margaret Jane Armstrong
Edward Armstrong born Unknown
Elizabeth Armstrong born Unknown
James Armstrong born Unknown

Thomas and Janet Ford married about 1850??

Mary Armstrong born about 1852

Of Thomas and Isabella, William Armstrong married Elizabeth Mosgrove 18 Jan 1853 I do not believe that there were any children born in Ireland. Margaret Jane Armstrong married Donald Fraser in Australia.

Elizabeth Armstrong married Unknown McBrien about Unknown. Produced William McBrien (married Rebecca Unknown but I am not sure when) and Georgina McBrien. She was born about 1889.

Of Thomas and Janet, Mary Armstrong also married in Australia.

James Armstrong (of Thomas and Isabella) and Martha Thompson married Unknown
Children born:
Sarah Armstrong born 1871 (was the youngest child) (married James Washington Jevens in US)
Elizabeth Armstrong born about 1868 (married William Estle in US)
Martha Armstrong born about 1865
Robert Armstrong born unknown
Plus 5 other children.

Thank you for the link to the website, I will have a look there now!!

Kelly
Woodhurst (ENG - Aust), Robins (Corn - Aust), Everett (Dorset - Aust), Younger (Lanark - Aust), Shadbolt (Hert - Aust), Ashton (Som - Aust), Coward (Wilt - Aust), Tanswell (Leic - Aust), Lane (Dor - Aust), James (Pemb - Aust), Aylward/Elward (Glam - Aust), Done (Ches & Shrop - Aust), Pearce (London - Sydney), Fraser (Argyll - Aust), Smith (Moray - Aust), Ross (London - Aust)

Offline lschrag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 07 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Armstrong researchers,
I don't know if this is the right family but I am going to list my known info and see if you can help me in any way.  My husband's great grandparents were Mathew Thompson Cross b. 27 May 1834 Prickwillow, Ely, Cambs, England and Sarah Jane Morrison b. Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland - Dec 1846.  Mathew emigrated to Australia around 1855 from England and worked in the Bendigo Gold Mines.  He met Sarah in Australia and they married in Ipswich, QLD 3 Apr 1865.  They left for America shortly afterward (a son Mathew was born in Shelby, Macomb County Michigan in 1867 according to the 1870 census).  The family tree online lists Sarah's father as Robert Morrison and her mother as Annie Armstrong of Ireland.  On the 1880 US census for Michigan I have found a Margaret Armstrong b. 1858 in Ireland listed as sister in law and living next door to Mathew and Sarah.  My husband's line goes through Mathew and Sarah's daughter Emma Cross who marries Oscar Joseph Roy.  Their child is Florence B. Roy born in Oakland, California and then my husband Lonnie.  Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.  Lynn

Offline Magi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 07 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Your Donald Fraser who married Margaret, would you have any info on Donald's family? I have a Donald Fraser who went to Australia who was my great grandfather's brother. We were both heading off to Australia but Hugh decided to stay in Durban, South Africa but Donald landed in Adelaide and have a photo of him taken there.
Magi

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 07 22:52 BST (UK) »
marriage. JOHN MORRISON TO ANNE ARMSTRONG 13-6-1845. @LISNASKEA COFI. AGHALURCHER,LISNASKEA, FERMANAGH.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 September 07 23:39 BST (UK) »
marriage. JOHN MORRISON TO ANNE ARMSTRONG 13-6-1845. @LISNASKEA COFI. AGHALURCHER,LISNASKEA, FERMANAGH.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ARMSTRONG/FRASER
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 September 07 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Magi.

The Donald Fraser that I have was born in Inveraray, Argyll, Scotland in abt 1837 and he died in Sydney, NSW in Dec 1900. He is buried at Waverley Cemetery. He had a number of children born in Rockhampton, QLD and Sydney, NSW. Thomas Humphrey, John Edward, Margaret Ann, Goodlet, Mary Jane, William Robert, Grace E.

His brothers and sisters were Janet Fraser, Peter Campbell Fraser, Robert, Margaret, Mary Ann and Humphrey.

His parents were Humphrey Fraser and Mary Walls.

Thanks

Kelly

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 September 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
for kelly.

birth. MARY JANE MCBRINE 17-4-1870. CHURCH HILL, FERMANAGH, IRE.
parents. JOHN MCBRINE & ELIZA ARMSTRONG.

regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan